Friday, January 6, 2012

slow news day...

To pay homage to my newspaper friends, Drew & Sue, it was a slow news day.  The weather is slowly creeping to warmer, today it was up to 74, though I hear that back home it felt like a warm spring day. What's up with that?! Enjoy it while you can, as it's only January 6th, and I'm afraid you have far more colder days in store.

Got up and got breakfast for everybody. While the kids packed up, I cleaned up the galley. I then grabbed everything in sight for a thorough washing.  Donnie dropped me off at Mac and Jean's. Mac decided to make the trek with Donnie "up to the rock" (as the locals call the Florida mainland).  It is a trek to get to the Miami airport, a full six hours round trip, providing you don't get caught in construction, an accident, a traffic jam, or rush hour. Cora and Jean kept me entertained in stories while I did six loads of wash.  While this may seem like no big chore at home, on a boat that means nearly everything we own was dirty!  Our bed is remade, (nearly a 45 minute chore in itself), and all the extra pillows, towels, and bed linens are stored back in bags.  Tonight really was our first night to simply relax with each other and enjoy a meal on the boat.  It took two days of working day and night when we first got here to simply get moved aboard and to figure out what worked and didn't work.  The plan tomorrow is to finally wash the exterior of the boat, and maybe get a coat of wax on.  We've been invited to Dan & Biddi's for a chilli supper and to watch football tomorrow afternoon and evening.  It sounds like Karie and Matt are joining us, too.  Should be fun.

Tonight, Donnie scrubbed the stern-mounted grill really well and got it
fired up for brats for dinner.  I sauteed peppers and onions, and had potatoe
salad and chips to go with it.  Just a simple supper, but I am simply pooped!
 Two of the big power boats here are leaving early tomorrow morning for the Bahamas...wish we were buddy boating with them, but we don't plan to head that way until late March. The talk in the marina was that one fella took on 300+ gallons of fuel...you can do the math.  I'd hate to think what that cost them...just another reason I like living on a sailboat :)

No comments:

Post a Comment