Thursday, January 12, 2012

phone update

My phone went missing earlier today....
...which left me very sad tonite.
.....and since Willis was caught slinking into the mangroves, I put two and two together and deduced that the dern cat made off with my cell phone.  Since he was grounded from the back alley for two weeks for shooting dice with the local riff raff, I figured he was on to plan B to try and figure out a way to make contact with these supposed 'new friends' of his.  I thought I caught him texting Peg Leg for a rendezvous in the mangroves, but then I realized he doesn't have opposable thumbs.
What was doubly sad was the fact that while we were
shining a flashlight into the mangroves this evening,
we caught a flash of it...sunk in about three feet of saltwater.
Second best guess is that it accidentally got kicked off the
dock in all of the cable hook up commotion.
After working him like a mule all day, Cap'n had to don his
 wetsuit to go diving for the phone- it was just out of reach.
I know I got on his very. last. nerve. once he hit that cold water.
I frantically rinsed the salt water off, took it all apart, and jumped in the Jeep on a quest for rice at 10:15pm.  The Keys shut down at 10pm, unless its a bar....
...or Panda House, the questionable Chinese joint.  You should have seen me
trying to explain to them that I wanted a quart of UNCOOKED rice.  It
took three times with three people, then they finally threw up their hands
 and all marched into the kitchen, together. (probably to discuss the crazy
 white lady in her pjs!)  Meanwhile, the clock is ticking...(and not the one on
my cell phone.)  She finally came out with the rice, and then tried to explain
that it won't cook the same as rice I might buy in the grocery (at least
I THINK that's what she was trying to say).  I again tried to say that
I wasn't going to cook it and eat it, I needed it for my phone!
Exasperated, I asked, "How much?", paid the two bucks, and ran out.
The reality is, after being in saltwater for five hours, the rice bag trick will likely not work.  However, it did once before when it landed in a toilet out in Colorado ;)  I think expecting it too work again is a miracle that God doesn't have the time or inclination to attend to.  So, I am phone-less for the present moment.  If anyone needs to reach me, call Donnie's number.  If you are reading this and don't know it, I'm guessing you don't need to know it. FB me instead.

The Good News in all this mess?  I'm due for a free upgrade with Verizon in just five days- YAY!!!

And for those voyeurs really wondering....Cap'n and I are back to being friends...much better friends than Willis and Peg-Leg!

4 comments:

  1. Rinnie, bummer about your phone. Good luck with your upgrade. Let me know the items on your wish list for "our friends to the south". I'll ship you some from the $ store.

    skeet

    ReplyDelete
  2. should have called.... oh you couldn't.. we were just getting home and have plenty of uncooked rice.. oh and we do speak English ..that is all we speak. we don't have a cute little box with a handle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bryan...while we were walking the bridge this morning, Kenny called. We told him we've been here two weeks already and have barely seen you guys. We need to remedy that, soon :)

      Delete