Saturday, January 28, 2012

busy, busy!

We made our weekly Saturday morning trek to the flea market in Big Pine Key.  I was after fresh fruits and veggies; Donnie was after a new filet knife, a few tools, and a new basket for his clownbike.  From there we made a beeline to Key West.  I simply wanted to go to Kino's for some new sandals- all of mine are worn out.  When we first started coming down here, they were only $8.00/pair.  They're still only $12.00/pair, and I promise you they last for years.  (and I am hard on sandals!) 
I could have bought 10 pairs, they have them in such
fun colors, and different styles...and they are SO comfy :)
The 'store front' is simply a counter in front of the factory.  You can
generally watch the workers making shoes while you shop.  It
was lunchtime, so I am guessing they were on a break.
If you're interested in seeing more, check them out for yourself!
I love the architecture in Key West...kind of reminds me of
Charleston, SC, or Savannah, GA.
We drove past our namesake :)  It's a very expensive restaurant that
we have yet to eat there.  Instead, last year I bought a Cafe
Marquesa plaque that his hanging in my galley on the boat. I <3 it!
Key West is known for its quaint little Conch cottages...
I'm quite sure they are not for a little price!
(Out of curiosity, I just checked a local real estate company's
website...you're lucky to get in at $500,000- for a
'roomy' 700 square feet. That's about what I thought.)
We drove down to the 'southernmost' part of town,
down by the 0 mile marker.  From there, it's
only 90 miles to Cuba.
This is the view from where the road ends.  Beautiful.
We turned around, to go back through town to pick
up Hwy 1 back to Marathon...we passed the
old cigar factory...
...past an interesting Cuban cafe' and carnecia :)
And then we drove by the Newman United Methodist Church,
and smelled the most delicious aromas coming from
the parking lot...it smelled like lunch to us!
Pastor Beverly was making conch fritters. They also sold
fried chicken sandwiches and BBQ rib sandwiches.  It was a tough
decision, it all smelled so good!  I had a nice conversation with the
Pastor.  She grew up in this very church, attended Sunday School and
VBS as a child.  She said she never imagined that she would be a pastor
there one day.  They were raising money to make repairs on their
 123 yo church. She was wearing a Tshirt in memory of her son, who
died a year ago.  He was a handsome boy.  She said he was a
promising football player.  We had a quiet moment there together,
until I said, "I cannot imagine the pain of losing a child." She
replied, "It's awful. I hurt everyday."  She wouldn't look at me
then, she just kept stirring her conch fritters.  I had tears in my
eyes; I'm sure she did, too- from one mother to another...
And THAT is a $5.00 fried chicken sandwich!  Donnie's was slathered
in mayo with tomato and lettuce.  I opted for the plain white bread.
We picked the chicken off for the sandwich and then gnawed on
the bones- we weren't sure what to do with them :) But, oh my,
they were good....along with a half order of conch fritters.
Coming back into Marathon, Donnie stopped at the new/used boat parts place to pick up some stainless screws.  It's kind of a nasty looking place with a couple of derelict old boats in the front
parking lot.  While he scrounged around inside, looking for some stainless screws he needed, there was a lone hibiscus bush on the corner of the lot.  It was like a rose among thorns.  If you're not into flowers, you can pass through these next photos.  They are for my momma, who taught me to love
and appreciate the beauty of ANY flower.  Spring is in full bloom down here in the Florida Keys :)


Pap's barbershop was open for business, so Donnie got a quick buzz on
our way home.  From there, we went home and unloaded our
bounty for the day, and headed straight for the pool.
It was a hot one today, so the folks joined us poolside for a game of dominoes.  After the folks left, Donnie swam 20 laps, and I did 14.  After a soak in the hot tub, we came back to the boat and I started supper.  I fixed red beans and rice with smoked sausage and hominy, and baked some cookies. It was hot down in the boat with the oven and burners on, so we had dinner out in the cockpit. While we ate, it looked really dark and stormy out on the Gulf, and the wind picked up, out of the north once again. There is a front moving in tonight, so it may be a little cooler tomorrow. 

Donnie just came in from putting out some extra docklines, to be on the safe side. Marquesa is rocking a little at the moment, but you won't hear me complain.  The motion, with a cool breeze blowing down the hatch above our bed, will make it perfect for sleeping tonight.

Willis is just glad we're both in for the night...
it was a long day home alone on the boat.
Mom and Dad were just too busy today!

Willis has already claimed his spot- right between our pillows :) G'nite!

No comments:

Post a Comment