Saturday, March 30, 2013

beautiful sail

This morning, with some encouragement from the Gully Rooster, Cap'n went in search or pipe pieces and fittings to rebuild our exhaust system.  It's just one more thing that has now been replaced on Marquesa.  He still needs to give it a tweek, wrap it up, and then he can remount it- hopefully tomorrow.
Meanwhile, Willis and I were reading through the cruising guide to the Abacos, in case we can still squeeze a trip to the Bahamas in before we have to head home.  Willis is a pretty good navigator, when he can keep his eyes open, that is.  He's usually much more interested in the charts, papers, books, and such.  This morning he was just so very, very tired.
How many ways can a Willis catnap on the mainsail winch and sheets?
Let me count the ways....
still counting...
that's five and still counting...
He's a ball of fire this morning, isn't he?!
If I didn't know any better, I would think he was sleeping off a major bender.  But last night, Cap'n and I ran off One-Eyed Jack and Peg Leg here at the Pointe, and grounded the boy to Cap'n's quarters down below.   Dern cat.
Biddi and I had been planning a "Let's be Bad" meal at McDonald's for weeks. It was lovely!  A Big Mac never tasted so good :)  And who knew a McDonald's could have such a nice tropical atmosphere?!
We were invited at 4:30pm by One Gallon Don and his boys to take a sunset cruise.  It was so nice to be guests on someone else's boat for a change :)
Cap'n Thud (aka Kevin) and his First Mate (brother) Justin wanted to take care of the boat and sailing all by themselves- so we all just let them.  Kevin is a Merchant Marine and works on big container ships.  He's sailed all over the world, and this boat will be his future home when he is off ship.  Well, I guess he will still be 'on ship', just his 41' Morgan instead.  They did a perfect job, and work really, really well together :)
Diesel was demonstrating how being on a boat is like hanging your head out of the car window- only different.
John had woven them a 'seat' in the bow pulpit and I just had to try it on for size.
It fit perfectly!  We gotta have him make us one of these for Marquesa!
Look Ma, no hands!  This is the perfect spot for dolphin watching :)  Yeah, the toes are still broke.  I keep reinjuring them so the healing process is not going so very well.  It's hard to heal broken toes on a boat that heels.  Dern cat.
It was a beautiful afternoon/evening for a sail.  We cruised at 7+ knots the whole time.
Their mast is so tall it has two spreaders...and the lazy jacks system works like a charm.  We have GOT to get that set of lazy jacks built for Marquesa.  We have the pulleys and line to do it, it's just a matter of finding the time.  The days just go far too fast when you're living in paradise.
It was a beautiful, cloudless sunset.
The colors reminded me of Easter, and it was only fitting to be basking in the glory of His creation on the eve that Christ arose.  I just took a few moments to Thank Him for all the many blessings in my life.  I am one richly blessed girl.  Simply beautiful.
Coming back into port, Diesel really needs to learn how to relax more when he is on the boat, lol.  That's 110 pounds of golden puppy love right there.
It was well after dark by the time we started dinner.  Dan and Biddi grilled rib eyes steak and baked potatoes on their grill, and we fried a mess of snappers on our grill.  You read that right- we fried on our grill.  I learned this trick a few weeks ago from some Argentinians who where having a picnic at Banana Bay.  They used a charcoal grill, placed a foil turkey pan on top, filled it with cooking oil, and fried their shrimp and fish.  There's no grease splatter in my galley and the cleanup is super easy- throw the whole mess away!  We ate like kings tonight.  Willis was peeking around supervising me as I was in and out and tending to the grill on the stern rail.  Now I know how our bimini has gotten stretched out- dern cat.
We weren't done with dinner until nearly 10pm, but my honey promised to take me up to the Hurricane to hear my favorite band, the Doerfels (aka the Band of Brothers).  They were fantastic, as always.  I wish y'all could see and hear these kids play.  Their talent is unbelievable.  As a former band geek, I just sit and marvel at their ability.  These kids need to be playing to a wider audience...like getting discovered on America's Got Talent or something.  They should be in Nashville already. They are crazy good. 
We didn't stay for the second set, as we have plans to go to the Easter sunrise service at Sombrero Beach.  I can't think of a more beautiful setting to celebrate Easter.  G'nite, 'all!









No comments:

Post a Comment