Friday, March 1, 2013

boatkeeping

Willis T stepped out into the cockpit this morning, and was not all pleased by the cold front that has moved in.  It was only a high of 63 today, the clouds were socked in, and each time it rained it brought him running from the mangroves back on to Marquesa.  I can't say I was pleased about the weather either.  Mom got back to IN just in time.

Today, Cap'n saw Paps about a haircut, tinkered with the dinghy engine, changed out the hinges on the port side lazarette, and cleaned up the wiring job on the nav station.  Peter (the electrical engineer) would be so proud :)

My day consisted of some boat cleaning, setting up the record keeping for 2013, and making Easter care packages for my favorite soldiers, Carissa and Austin.  The camo Easter eggs were too cute to pass up!
I also gathered up the cruising guides for the Abacos in the Bahamas and pulled out the Florida cruising guides to map out a couple of options for dive trips with Ellen in case we don't get a weather window to sail her to the Dry Tortugas.  She will be here on the 11th, and I can't wait :)  The other project I want to tackle is going through the pictures with Fran of our trip to Germany this past summer.  I'd at least like to get my scrapbook stuff organized now, so I can work on putting the scrapbook together in the evenings when we are at anchor in the Bahamas. 

Lastly, I started the to-do list for the countdown to cruising.  I downloaded the forms for the USCG registration renewal, and will get those in the mail on Monday.  I need to renew ahead of time, as our present registration will expire while we are in the Bahamas.  I don't want to have a problem if we get boarded down there.  I also need to be filing our sail plan with Customs and Immigration, and Willis' traveling papers from the Bahamas should be arriving any day now.  I've started squirreling away extra kitty food and litter for the furry beast for the trip, and stowing away five cases of bottled water for us.  We carry 100 gallons of water in the tanks, and another 20 gallons in jerry jugs on deck.  If we get a good squall passing through, we can fill the tanks by damning up the gunnels and opening the caps to the tanks on deck- otherwise you pay for water in the Bahamas, as all of their fresh water is made through desalination.  There's lots to think of in the coming weeks, and the to do list will grow even longer before we make headway on crossing things off as to done.  I'm glad to have the next ten days to start getting ourselves and Marquesa in order before we go play with company again :)  Well, let's be clear, there is still playing to be done most every day in paradise, we just need to be mindful about accomplishing a thing or two each day as well, especially while the weather is cool these next few days.

Tonight was Friday Night Pizza Night with Kenny & Fran, Nancy & Ron, Ken & Lucille, Mamaw and Paps, and the two of us.  We got our pizzas at the Hurricane, and then went to Kenny and Fran's to watch Argo. 
Ken and Lucille are moving from Key Colony Beach back to the neighborhood on Angler Drive tomorrow afternoon.  Next Friday's movie will be at their place to watch Life of Pi. 
Still clowning around after 61 years :)
Mamaw tried out Kenny's headphones to watch TV with...looks like a Christmas gift idea to me :)
The boys all had to discuss their guns, and Kenny showed off a few. (Not those guns- the kind with bullets!) They all had a laugh over how they could hear a squirrel scratch a tree, but when it comes to people's voices in conversation they can't hear a thing.  I think it's only certain people, in certain situations and that's called selective hearing, lol.  I see these headphones causing serious marital problems in the McDaniel household, as my voice would never be heard if Cap'n was wearing them...and he knows how happy it makes me to have to repeat myself several times over.  I don't think I'll be buying Cap'n a headset anytime soon, thank you. Don't anybody else buy him a set either, please.
Well, this cold north wind is really blowing tonight, and the boat is moving just enough to rock us all to sleep.  Cap'n and Willis are down for the count already!  G'nite, y'all!

No comments:

Post a Comment