Sunday, March 10, 2013

Laying low...

After yesterday's swimfest in the marina, Willis had no interest in leaving the boat today.  He and I both laid low most of the day.  I'm trying to stretch out taking the pain medicine as I need to have my wits about me by tomorrow.  I have to drive to Ft. Lauderdale to pick up Ellen, and then we are planning an overnight passage to the Dry Tortugas.
Since Willis was sticking close to Mom and Dad today, he did his fair share of 'supervising'.  He only turned his head for a moment, and Dad surely cut his finger sharpening knives.  As long as Willis kept an eye on Dad, all was well.
Cap'n was busy all day long.  He changed the belt on Agnes, polished the three large winches, and then.....the dinghy started squealing like a siren...she sprang a leak.  Again.  All plans for the day were put on hold; Cap'n had to save the dinghy.  She's our 'car' when we are out cruising, and we definitely need her for the Tortugas trip by tomorrow night.
He stopped for lunch, which was his catch of the day with Kenny, onions, green and red peppers, some salt and pepper and Italian dressing, wrapped in foil and tossed on the grill.  He loved it; I couldn't stomach it today. 

I did some more stainless polishing on the helm, and the port side stern rails and bimini rails.  I also washed all the fans...and that was about all I was good for.  Donnie kindly did up the dishes for me. Together we teamed up to wash Willis' sore back paw and put medicine on it.  He had some litter still stuck in the dried blood, and it was looking swollen and tender.  He had been walking on it carefully all morning, when he was awake anyhow.

After lunch, and the stress of Willis getting his paw tended to, we both laid down for a much needed nap.  I woke up to him snoring...it looks here like he got into my Percocet.  Willis was just done in from yesterday.  He was laying realllllll low alright.  I think he burned through one of his nine lives.

Cap'n got the dinghy re-launched, and got out of the shower just in time to see the sun set, such as it was.
We're getting excited to go cruising, even if I can't scuba dive right now.  We got groceries tonight, the fridge is stocked.  Tomorrow I'm going to give the inside of the boat a final cleaning. I've also got to gas up the Jeep and fill our jerry can's with extra fuel. I need to make a quick stop at Kmart and make up Ellie's bed, and pick up Fran by 1:00pm to head to the airport.  Got a big day tomorrow! Cap'n needs to fill our water tanks,  deliver some things to Mamaw and Paps, pick up a bottle of rum, fill the coolers with ice, and so on.  If the weather continues to hold, we will cast off as soon as I get back with Ellie tomorrow evening...my fingers are crossed! (my toes are not).  G'nite, y'all!

No comments:

Post a Comment