Monday, March 18, 2013

Lost this day...

I'm not sure where today went, actually.  I spent it rather sleep deprived.  After the sprint AND marathon on Sunday, I finally got to bed at 12:30am, only to have to get up at 1:45am.  I think that merely qualifies as a Willis nap.  AIS was 2:00am, and we all made it.  I was fortified with a Diet Mt. Dew, while Donnie dozed off and on, and Ellie slept in the back seat.  Though it was awful getting up that early to get to the Ft. Lauderdale airport, I must say it was really the best time of day to get on and off the rock.  Traffic is horrible around South Florida, and Highway 1 can slow to a crawl all. the. way. to. Key. West.  I was back home and in bed by 7:00am.  Five hours, round trip is a new world record.  However, in the words of my husband, it was "like driving for Ballard's Funeral Home" after I left the airport.  Needless to say, my hubby didn't help keep me awake for the trip home.  I played billboard alphabet bingo and I counted to one hundred, forwards AND backwards, in SPANISH, multiple times, over and over to keep my own self awake.  Sad, but true.  Even the Diet Mt. Dew couldn't keep me jacked up long enough.  I'm getting too old for damn near all-nighters.

As per usual, I fell into bed back on Marquesa and could not sleep.  Meanwhile, Cap'n slept walked from the car to the Vberth and kept right on sleeping.  If I sound disgusted- you are most correct.  I am floored by how easily the man falls asleep, and so easily stays asleep.  I want whatever he's having, that's for sure.  I tossed and turned until nearly 8am, then woke with a start at 9:30am.  Armed with a whopping 2 1/2 hours sleep, I got up and got busy.  I ran errands for two hours- two groceries, the pharmacy, liquor store, and such.  I needed to fill up the larder and I am in charge of the food for the Third Annual Bahia Honda Booze Cruise tomorrow on Biddi and the Beast.  It is just easier for me to put my catering skills to work and do the planning and provisioning for hobos for 12.  I'll simply collect their share before dinner.  Easy peas-y. Or maybe I am just that much of a control freak, afterall.  In my defense, the hobos picnic tradition was started by Wanetta and I that first year. No one here had ever heard of a hobo on the grill.  It must be a Hoosier thing, or a Girl Scout thing....anyhow, hobos are on the menu again.  People would be disappointed now if we tried to simply feed them a hot dog and smores.

Mike and Susan had a late breakfast at the Stuffed Pig, and then they also went to visit the turtle hospital.  It really is an interesting place.  Anyhow, by the time I got back and got the groceries all stowed, salsa made, lunch made, hors d'oeuvres made, galley cleaned up....we went up to the pool for a game of dominoes with Mamaw and Paps.  Mike swam a bit, and Suzie tried to work on her tan, but it really clouded up as the afternoon wore on.  It was in the low 80's, but just cloudy.  Late in the day, it even sprinkled.  We ate our hors d'oeuvres, had a sundowner, and then decided to go for a quick sail to watch the sun go down.  Given the clouds, there wasn't much of a sunset, BUT, we saw two mamas and two baby dolphins!  We finally got close enough for them to come over and play for a bit, but it was nearly impossible to capture a picture of them.  There was very little light left in the day, and well, dolphins are plain skittish about having their picture taken.  It reminds me of the plain folk (Amish) back in my hometown.  I could see though, that both babies are still relatively new, just about the size of the three month old baby at the Dolphin Research Center.  Still, it was exciting to try and get close.  If you squint real hard, stand on your left foot, hum My Country Tis of Thee in a kazoo and use your imagination real hard, there are two adults and one baby crossing our bow in the photo below....

WHAT?! YOU DON"T SEE IT?!  yeah, I don't either.
Actually, this is more a reflection of my brain at the moment, which has truly turned to mush.  The alarm is going off in less than six hours, and I have got to go hug up to the Willis sleeping next to me.

The one on the left s happily chasing iguanas in REM sleep at the moment.  The one on the right is absolutely sound asleep, and I am grabbing my earplugs so I can go join them.  I do love these boys.  G'nite, y'all!

  

No comments:

Post a Comment