Saturday, January 12, 2013

Too busy for being 'retired!'

We started our Saturday at Big Pine Key at the Flea Market.  Though I don't drink beer, I love what the second sign down says.  Unfortunately, we have no 'porch' to hang a sign this size on our sailboat!
I love getting my hands on the fresh fruits and vegetables at the market.  I came home with broccoli, potatoes, tomatoes, honey tangerines, vidalia onions, green peppers, cucumbers, squash, strawberries, pineapple and.....I'm sure I'm forgetting something as my larder is full to the brim!  I love cooking and eating healthy here in paradise :)
We got a deal on 150' line to make into sheets for the jibsail for only $50.00.  We also got some stainless pulleys to make lazy jacks for the mainsail.  Now we've got to get on YouTube to figure out how, lol.
Afterwards, we drove out to No Name Key Pub for some pizza.  It was awesome!
We then took a ride around No Name Key in search of the infamous key deer.  We found this little doe and a buck walking into s guy's garage!  They are so cute, not much bigger than Simon, our dog (who does not like living on a sailboat!)
From there, we rode over to the Blue Hole to see if we could find the alligator.  He was right below the deck we were standing on, and he growled at us when we came up!  I've never heard him do that before- scary!  Willis would have made a fine gator snack for sure.
As you leave Big Pine Key, you pass Bahia Honda State Park on the way to Marathon.  We've had some awesome beach parties and hobo cookouts there.  It's a great day sail to the park, you enter the cut at the old Flagler RR bridge from the Atlantic side.  It's a beautiful park- campsites, trails, two beaches, diving and such.  A must-see place in the Keys.
Back in Marathon, we stopped at the Boneyard to talk with Jimmy. another knowledgeable fellow about boats. Donnie wanted another opinion about getting piston rings unstuck before we opt for pulling Bessie right out of the boat for an overhaul.
I got bored with all the engine banter and snapped some pics of these beautiful hibiscus out front. 
Back on the boat, I got busy slicing and dicing those fresh veggies to build a vegetable pizza for Pap's 80th birthday party tonight.  It tasted pretty dang good if I do say so myself  :)
Paps was surprised all right!  Diane had quite the crowd of neighbors and friends who joined in the celebration. We feasted on meatballs, peeled shrimp, spinach rolls, Dave's homemade salsa and chips, veggie pizza, and....
Diane made these two delicious cakes; one was pineapple, and the other was mandarin orange. Yum!
Of course, Donnie had to pull Paps aside for a 'serious' story he had to share with him.
This was Paps reaction when he got to the end, lolllllllls
Paps laughed so hard his head hurt and his stomach hurt!
Those McDaniel's sure love a funny story!!!  Paps is a good lookin' 80, don't you think?!
From the birthday party, we capped the night off at the Sombrero Tiki Bar where Bryan was playing.  Donnie joined him for a few songs and they sounded great.  My camera was dead at this point so my attempts at pics and video didn't turn out so very well, but trust me, they sounded great!  I'll look forward to hearing them again.

And after THAT very full day, I was looking forward to a Willis and my bed!  Whew! G'nite, y'all!

1 comment:

  1. Tell Paps Happy Birthday for me, and yep, he's a mighty handsome 80.

    ReplyDelete