Wednesday, January 9, 2013

the island's longest oil change. ever.

I got to hand it to Cap'n, because if it had been me, I would have quit hours ago, saying choice words and pitching tools into the ocean.  But Mr. Fix It, and Cap'n of this fine vessel, pulled through yet again.  He has enough of his mother in him that when he gets going on something, he is like a dog with a bone that will not, cannot, give up.  No. Matter. What.  Let's rewind exactly twelve hours ago.....

Donnie's plan for today was to change the oil and filter and change the primary and secondary fuel filters.  Remember, we are dead in the water, and our fuel pump is now off to some magical lah-bor-ah-tory somewhere, to be rebuilt at some point in time, somewhere in the future.  We're on an island here, and everybody works on island time.  But, I digress...

By 11am this morning, Cap'n declared our hand pump dead and inoperable (really, what's one more thing dead and inoperable).  This is the contraption that allows you to transfer fuel, oil, whatever, from one spot to another.  Now, working on a marine diesel engine, to do a simple oil change, is nothing like jacking up your car and pulling the plug to let the oil drain into a pan.  Nothing simple about it.  Remember, the boat is torn all to h**l just to have access to the engine in the first place.  And, whatever Cap'n is trying to do with Bessie requires him to fold and contort himself in all sorts of ridiculous positions to get himself and a wrench or two to whatever trouble spot is commanding his attention at the moment.  Meanwhile, there is no ladder to get from the cockpit to the salon, so I have to spider monkey my way in and out of the boat carting laundry, groceries, and what not.  It's a trip.

Back to the hand pump....the plunger clearly wasn't plunging, so he FINALLY gave up (long after I would have pitched the damn thing into the drink), and decided he needed to make the first (of three) trips to Home Depot, NAPA, and Advance Auto Parts for assorted parts and such.  This first trek to get this stuff had him gone nearly FOUR HOURS.  He had Paps along for the ride, so I'm sure they had a good time.  In addition to the pump problem, he was in search of a spring, a radiator hose, a welding shop, and a lobster snare. (random, I know; I guess he wanted to snare parts off Bessie should they take a dive into the bilge.)  Willis and I chilled at home while he shopped his little heart out.

By the time he got back (did I mention it was nearly four hours later?), he was beyond starving.  I fed him, then took the Jeep and promptly left him, while he started in again on this oil changing project of his.  The mess was just about on my last nerve, nothing that a little retail therapy couldn't fix.  Biddi and I went to town, and she helped me find a new bathing suit and coverup.  Armed with a sweet tea from McDonald's, I was almost as good as new.

When I got back with the Jeep, Donnie emerged from Bessie, again, no further along than he was at 11am this morning.  The idea he had to drain the oil did not work, and it was time to go in search of more parts.  It's now about 5pm.

This was Bob, who greeted us as we left Marquesa.  He had just sent Willis running for his life from the mangroves to the boat.  I think he burned through one of his nine lives at the sight of a 195 lb. dog! (I couldn't figure out how to rotate the pic)

We went back to Advance, and this time I tagged along.  Donnie had worn Paps out.  Toothless Jane helped us (it's a Keys thing :) and she got us two oil filters.  You always want to have a back up on board. Just. In. Case.  (Cap'n received two new primary and secondary fuel filters for Christmas from his First Mate.  Do I know the way to his heart or what?!  Food or boat stuff.)  While they were discussing radiator hoses, I went looking for the oil changing whatevers.  Lo and behold, I find a pump, similar to the one we had, but didn't work. For $14.99.  Sold.  I think the plunger on the old one rotted in the heat while Marquesa sat up on jack stands this past summer.  It was worth a try.

Now we're past dinner time and it's dark outside.  The chicken I had laid out to BBQ didn't sound appealing, and Cap'n didn't want to cook in the dark.  Across from Advance looked like a pretty appealing little fish place.  The parking lot was full and that's always a good sign.  We both were having a hankering for some fish, so sold, again.  The day was looking up.

Fish Tales was delicious.  It's owned and operated by a German couple, complete with German items on the menu and German beer on draft.  If ever you are in Marathon, you must give it a try.  Donnie's German style fish sandwich was excellent. Besides, any restaurant with a Willis painted on the walls has to be a great place!
After dinner, all we needed was a $2.00 connector from Home Depot (trip #3) and the good Lord willing, we just might get the oil drained yet today.  This is where you cross your fingers. And anything else available to cross.

I read the directions to Donnie on how to assemble the NEW hand pump, he attached the connector to the hose, then to Bessie, and then......(drum roll, please, "Joy to the World..." name that movie :)

We have success!  If you look closely, the oil is flowing nicely from Bessie, to the empty container.  To which I say, "Honey, you just have to have the right tools to do the job right."  And this look is what I got in return.  It could have been worse.
After the oil was changed, Cap'n then made quick work of changing the primary and secondary fuel filters, too.  It was only 9pm, so why quit now, right?  He was on a roll :)  This has been my view the last few days.  Me, sequestered on the one tiny piece of sofa available, amongst the clutter and mess, watching HGTV and trying to hold it together, while occasionally checking out my honey's backside ;)  My job was to hand him tools, paper towels, or more items which were stowed beneath the one place I had left to sit.
But I have to hand it to him, he did accomplish what he set out to do for the day, and he picked up a new lobster snare along the way.  All he has left to do on Bessie is to reconnect the heat regulator that he removed and cleaned yesterday.  That requires a new marine grade radiator hose, so it's an early trip in the morning to go in search it.  We have other plans tomorrow, and can't give another day to Bessie.  AIS is 10am for a boat ride on Biddi and the Beast for lunch at Burdine's with our friends.  We're both looking forward to getting out on the water.  Being tied to a dock isn't nearly as much fun.

Even though we are in paradise.   G'nite, y'all!

No comments:

Post a Comment