Thursday, February 3, 2011

B-O-A-T- is

Bring Out Another Thousand,
doing repairs in exotic places, OR
a hole in the water you pour money into!  That seems to be more the truth as I was paying bills today. Only another $275 for a haul out, plus the parts, etc., etc., etc.

Actually, I am quite proud of Cap'n.  Bryan came out to offer assistance, and Kenny stopped by, too.  Paps offered his supervision in the process, and through it all, Cap'n did a fine job!  He redeemed himself for running hard aground as we left the marina early this morning (OUCH!) No harm, no foul.  A kindly passerby jumped in our dinghy and came out to help squedge us off.  Just a minor delay....  No damage; just a little bottom paint off the keel, it's all good.

The first step was taking down the back stay to fit her in the
travel lift.  It always makes me nervous to see that come down.

Next, making sure the sling is in place.

and up she goes!

And the real work begins.  Replacing the sheared bolt and making a repair
on the support flange turned out to be the easier job- done in under an
hour, thanks for your help, Bryan!  Paps' job today was to hand tools.

And then the dog of the day was trying to replace the stuffing box.  Donnie beat on it for a good four hours- no exaggeration.  Kenny brought over some "blast off"  ('as seen on TV') and I'll be danged if that didn't help to get the old one off.  This is where I admire Donnie's persistance. I would have given up after the first hour, but my Cap'n hung in there! He had his head in a hot engine compartment, in the heat of the day, all folded over, trying to get the old stuffing box out.  I made sandwiches and iced tea for a quick lunch break, and soon after, the old one finally broke loose.  It clearly needed replaced, as the hose was shot.  Putting the new one on was only a matter of minutes, thankfully.  While he worked, I did a quick fill job on the boo-boo's we acquired in Beaufort, SC, when the river current carried us into some gigantic outboard props. We we're settling up with the boatyard (more $) at 3:45pm.  Bessie fired up with a few more 'gently taps' by the First Mate, and we were on our way back to Banana Bay by 4:00pm....only a "few hours" later :)  Another hour of cleaning up tools, sweeping the sand out of the boat, and cleaning the topsides, and Cap'n was more than ready to hit Happy Hour at the Tiki Bar.  I've actually lost track off him, after the second long island iced tea he is feeling no pain....no wait, I think I hear his voice coming from the hot tub.  The guy deserves it, his shoulder will be talking to him tonight.  If you get drunk-called by Cap'n tonight, think nothing of it.  The guy deserved a night off. 

...think I'll go chase the hens away from the hot tub, jk! 

Tomorrow? Cap'n is going fishing, I am going to a baby shower and out to lunch with the girls, and I will be heading out to pick up a new camera and salt water pump in the afternoon.  It's only money...just another day in paradise.

2 comments:

  1. Proud of ya dad!! And you'd be proud of Eric...he owned that kitchen floor today! Sure he may have no knuckle skin left...but hey...Hope you had a lovely night off and I miss you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it!!!! What a great story-teller. Tiki bars, rum, a boat, and a beautiful woman, this guy is livin the dream, my new hero.

    Whahoooo!!!!!!
    Capt Bing

    ReplyDelete