Saturday, February 23, 2013

PIG RACES!

I spent the morning getting caught up on blogging and baking banana bread in my wee little oven.  I love my galley, rightfully named "Café Marquesa".  I can turn out meals and baked goodies just like at home- except for a Thanksgiving turkey- I'd have to do a couple of Cornish hens instead!  I love my collapsible bowl from Pampered Chef, Wanetta- I use it all the time- for pretty much everything!  It's perfect for a sailboat. 
Willis was busy offering his two cent's worth to the blog...until 1 o'clock this afternoon.  He was worn out, I tell you.  It must have been that good night's sleep he had last night right between Mom and Dad.
Donnie left early this morning with Kenny to go to the Nautical Flea Market at Islamorada.  He came with some much needed items for Marquesa....a good used winch for the main halyard that blew apart on yesterday's sail, another set of jib sheets, this time 1/2 inch which will not slip in the winches, a much needed knife sharpener for the dive knives and kitchen knives, a good used waste water cover, some stainless hinges, a couple of flashlights, and not one fishing rod or reel!
I had a little elf make a delivery this afternoon to Marquesa.  I got a care package!  There was a treat sack for Willis T, too :)  It came from Lori Oxley Terrell- such a sweetheart who does so much for others.  Her son, Tayte, drew an extra special picture of Marquesa, complete with Cap'n Donnie, his First Mate, and Willis on board.  I think he even drew one of those dern lobster pots buoys that we are always dodging out on the waters here in the Keys.  She wrote a very sweet card, and made some incredible chocolate treats for me to share with the gang down here.  Her elf helper was Frannie, such a sneak.
Fran and I shared some amazing chocolate covered pretzels at....THE PIG RACES!!!!
Our bets were placed, we were ready for the races to begin!
 
Frannie takes her bets very seriously...

And it paid off- She and Kenny won two of the three races!
The first race was literally a blur!  Our Pork Chop Pam came in second. Dang it.
The second race was some six week old piglets.  I just wanted to hold one.  Our little guy won!

The last race featured the lightening fast pot bellied pigs...not.  But they are hysterical!

Donnie was trying to coax our pig into finishing.  Long after the race was over.  We McDaniel's are no quitters!  Our pig crapped out in Turn 1.  Literally.  Eww.
After the pig races were over, we went to West Marine to get some information about our antennae on top of the mast.  We're not certain that we are transmitting very far on our VHF.  We had a little more time to kill before dinner, so we stopped at the Seven Mile Bridge to catch the sunset.

so beautiful...

We were treated to dinner tonight by George and Vicki, who are neighbors to Kenny and Fran and Big Ron on Hatteras Island.  Thank you for a lovely meal at Castaways, it was delicious, and we thoroughly enjoyed your company :)
With that, I am all caught up on blogging, and am calling it a night.  I think I'm about to slip into a chocolate coma (thanks, again, Lori ;)  G'nite y'all!








No comments:

Post a Comment