Monday, February 25, 2013

Booze cruise

Danny and Biddi had a Booze Cruise to Burdine's, for some friends that were visiting from out of town.  Donnie did not imbibe, as he was the Captain's First Mate.  He also was up on the bow with Danny and Penny providing musical entertainment.  After lunch at Burdine's, Danny cruised Biddi and the Beast up and down Boot Key Harbor, through the boats on mooring balls.  I guess they put on quite a show for the cruisers in the anchorage.  You don't see musicians on a boat very often (especially with a stand up bass fiddle!)  Cruisers were snapping pictures, clapping, and dancing as they cruised by.  I would have like to have seen that- I'm sure they all had a good time!  They made a day of it, staying out until sunset.

Today was my momma's 79th birthday, so we started the day with a late breakfast at the Stuffed Pig.  We were both surprised when the waitress brought out a piece of key lime pie to celebrate.  Not a bad way to start off your birthday in the Keys- it was delicious!

It was a beautiful day- sunny, hot, and humid so we decided to take a drive to see what we could see.  We passed over the Seven Mile Bridge, Bahia Honda State Park, Big Pine Key, to Little Torch Key.  I was looking for a swimming hole the locals go to.  I've heard a lot about it, and I want to take Ellen there when she comes in two weeks.  We didn't find the swimming hole, but we found a  luxurious resort and spa off of Little Torch Key called Little Palm Island.  The place looked gorgeous, y'all.  It's like nothing I have ever seen down here in the Keys....it is not Keysie-style, but more like a Polynesian style resort....something you'd find in Tahiti!  You check into the resort there in Little Torch Key, then you board The Truman (a beautifully restored wooden Chris Craft).  A fifteen minute boat ride deposits you on Little Palm Island Resort and Spa.  There are just 30 bungalows with thatched palm roofs.  Each one has a king sized bed, living quarters, and spa like bathroom.  There's a zen garden, pool, beach, five star dining, snorkeling and diving.  Unbelieveable.  The gal at the front desk said they serve brunch on Saturdays and Sundays, but it requires reservations.  The boat leaves at 10:30am, 11:30am, and 12:30pm.  I was looking at an aerial photograph of the island at the front desk, and this place looked amazing.  I asked if you could spend the afternoon at the beach if you had brunch there.  Her reply was, "No, that is not allowed as our guests require strict privacy."  I knew in that moment, that this place was L-U-X-U-R-Y all the way...probably at least a B.O.A.T. per night.  After we got home, curiosity got the best of me, so I had to look this place up.  If you want to dream of a tropical island getaway, check this place out www.littlepalmisland.com.  Just take a few minutes and peruse through the photo galleries.  The scenes of dining on the beach, surrounded by candles and water and palm trees, look like scenes taken from a fantasy date on The Bachelor!  Wowzer.  I wasn't far off....with taxes, it's $1223/night.  Oh. My. Goodness.  After I read about the dress code, I found out that Sunday brunch is $75.00/person.  That includes the champagne, y'all!  Honestly, that does not seem too outrageous to me, given the price of the resort....SOOOOOO....Frannie and I are trying to sweet talk our men into taking us for brunch one day....if we can get the boys to leave their tank tops and flip flops at home!

Mom and I also stumbled upon Dolphin Marina.  This view over the water gives you a good look at part of the old Flagler Railroad.  If you want a fascinating history lesson, that really turned the Keys and Key West into a tourist mecca, check out this site http://flaglermuseum.us/history/florida-east-coast-railway.  I have read several books about the Flagler Railroad, and the Labor Day hurricane of 1935 that destroyed it http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1935_Labor_Day_hurricane.  (for you history buffs :)
My pretty momma on her birthday :)
We celebrated her birthday that evening with pizza, german chocolate cake, chickenfoot, The Bachelor, and more of Lori's chocolate treats!  I was miserably stuffed...
...and, of course, birthday cards and prezzies!  Happy Birthday, Mom!

No comments:

Post a Comment