Sunday, February 2, 2014

Superbowl Sunday

Before the partying continued today, we started our day with church.  Pastor Keith did a great job tying in the Super Bowl theme into his message today :)  Afterwards, we visited Paps at the hospital.  He had trouble eating, and his sugar is not yet entirely under control, so it is best they keep a watchful eye on him there.  While we were visiting, the med helicopter landed to airlift another patient bound for Miami.  I'm so thankful it wasn't Paps taking that ride.  Pastor Keith came by for a visit, and lifted Paps up in prayer.  It was nice having the family all gathered to pray with him and for him.  Paps is a prayerful man, and I know how much that meant to him.

Donnie and I took the blue piglet to the grocery to pick up a few things for the three gatherings we were supposed to attend today.  I picked up some chili/lime hummus to go with pita chips.  Oh. My. Goodness.  I have a new favorite hummus.  I hope I can find hummus in China- or maybe I just need to learn how to make it myself.  It can't be that difficult.  I have a feeling I'll be living on granola bars this next year!  I promise it will not be "fish head soup" that my Cap'n keeps telling everyone he will be making for me while I am teaching at school. Or cats. Or octopus. Or eel.  Or monkey. Or any other strange, creepy things not fit for my consumption.  I draw the line at yak :)




 
My honey assured me the dinghy motor was now running well,
so we grabbed our snorkel gear and were planning to go
exploring around Crane Point.  The motor started fine,
but then it would not go into gear.  After many, many
futile attempts to get the stupid thing running properly,
he finally had to give up and paddle us back to Marquesa.
With an hour to spare before party #1, we opted for a
dip in the pool instead.  It was beautiful here today;
sunny, low 80's, and a beautiful 10-14 kt. breeze.
It would have been perfect for sailing, but we
had parties to get to- all three of them.


Momma K had her party dress on, ready for round one!


Larry the Dockmaster treated the marina to his now famous smoked,
rubbed, bbq ribs- and his homemade special sauces.  There was so
much wonderful food to choose from, I had to pace myself- there
were more parties to be had.  It was a gorgeous afternoon :)


We no sooner sat down to eat and I saw two dolphins right off Paradise
Pointe!  They were surfacing and circling around the channel markers.
They must have been feeding on something, or they wanted a
better whiff of Larry BBQ ribs! 


A lady I sat next to at the BBQ shared with me that on her morning bike
ride at Cocoa Plum, she came across Border Patrol that was investigating
a Cuban boat that came ashore early this morning.  There were seven
adults and two small children.  They were all seasick, and a bit
frightened, but relieved they made it to shore.  They were at sea for
over 26 hours.  The last 20 miles were adrift with no engine.  They
had only a make-shift tiller to steer toward the Keys.  They belong to
the U.S. now- "wet foot/dry foot."  I don't even want to get in
to the politics of what all that entails.  It's a long sorted tail
that amounts to lots of assistance from the USA to relocate.
Suffice it to say, I admire what courage it must take to cross
an ocean in such a crude vessel.  It would scare me to no end.


Betty the Bookie sold the last of the squares on the
Super Bowl betting board, and then it was time to
draw numbers. Another boater drew for the
Seahawks rows, and I drew for the Broncos columns.


With numbers in hand, it was time to move on to party #2 at Kenny
and Fran's! We needed to get there before kickoff :)



Rubert shared with us the story behind his acquiring these
HUGE, beautiful ornate doors that he purchased once
upon a time.  They laid in his yard for years, in the
elements, until he finally decided to tackle and restore
them.  THEY ARE GORGEOUS!  They are now
the "magic doors" to his "secret garden" :)


 
Ken and Lucille (Fran's brother in law and sister) were the
latest snowbirds to arrive, so they had to make a trip
through the "magic doors".  I think they were seeking
the eternal fountain of youth.  It didn't happen. 
 
 
Not long into the first quarter, Frannie handed me her
"dammit doll."  It came in handy, I'll tell ya'.  At one
point I flung her across the room in a fit of frustration.
Peyton Manning needed a dammit doll, too.
 
We hung in at Kenny and Fran's until half time, and then we had to scoot on over to
Mamaw's.  She was with Cora, who had no interest in the game, and Paps was still
in the hospital.  We stuck it out until the very end, but sadly, it was no game at
all.  Even the commercials weren't very entertaining.  Some were just plain dumb.
 
 
Little Donnie had on his Seahawks jammies, but he couldn't stay awake for
the game.  His is in Germany with his momma and daddy, and kick off
there wasn't until after midnight!  I was fighting to stay awake myself,
and it was only after 9:00pm here.  B-O-R-I-N-G.
 
 
Clearly the Seahawks dominated from the very first snap.
It was not a bitter defeat for me; I was genuinely happy
for our son-in-law and all of his family on the west
coast.  The Hawks dominated, and they clearly
deserve the title, "World Champions".
Well done, Hawks, well done.
I'm happy for you, Austin!
 
As for party #3 ?!  Cap'n finished off the night with a
night cap at Dan and Biddi's after the game.  :)
Momma K had already called it a night.


G'nite, y'all!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment