Saturday, February 22, 2014

Crane Point

 
Cap'n went to the Nautical Flea Market in Islamorada with the boys, while
Stephanie and I spent our Saturday morning at the flea market in
 Big Pine Key.  I always have to stop and look at the orchids.

They are just happy flowers to me :)  Too bad I kill them. sad face.


This sign caught my eye.  What you cannot see is the
large conch shell hanging from this slate sign. Clever idea.

We stopped at Veteran's Park on our way back, so
Stephanie could get her toes in the sand.
 

It's a beautiful little beach with a great tree for climbin'.

In the afternoon, Stephanie, Rita, and I went to Crane
Point.  Though I just visited this place with my momma
and Ellie last week, it was worth it to go again.  We
had a wonderful guide, and I'm not saying that just
because he is a fellow Hoosier ;)

He was explaining that when people would come to visit
though the years, and did not find the Crane's at home, they
would carve a message into the leaves of this tree
outside of their house.  Now it's a novelty to leave
your name there as well. It kind of like leaving your panties
pinned to the ceiling of a bar- only different.
This is a poisonwood tree which I first became acquainted
with in the Bahamas two years ago.  Do not come in contact
with any part of this tree, else you will develop a rash
like poison ivy.  Trust me, I got no where near it!
There are beautiful flowers and foliage all over the 63 acres of hammock.

This particular plant is called a Carissa plum.  I had to snap a pic for
 my daughter, Carissa.  This flowering shrub was planted around the Crane's
property.  The fruit of it is oblong, and is similar in taste and texture to
a cranberry.  The Crane's planted it so that their free range hogs would
graze on it.  The bitter fruit is said to kill the worms in hogs.  Well, I'll be.
We learned about a variety of trees and shrubs, insects, birds, and butterflies.  We learned the difference between white, black, and red mangroves.  We learned about solution pools and how they provided fresh water.  We learned how the Adderly's, original homesteaders at the turn of the century, eked out a living by harvesting sponges and making charcoal out of buttonwood.  We learned of the historical significance to the property.  In short, our guide was incredible.  I enjoyed the trip so much more this time around.

The peeling red paper bark of the gumbo limbo tree reminds
me of the white paper birch trees back home.
This time I got to see a quick peek at one of the two baby osprey chicks
and its momma high up in the nest.
After we left Crane Point, I took Rita and Stephanie to see my sister-in-law's
orchids that are blooming around her property.  She has several varieties.
 
I love the unusual way the roots attach themselves to
the bark of a pine tree.  At first they are tied there and
cradled in the husk of a coconut.  Eventually, they will
take root to the palm tree itself.  I only hated that her
blue orchids are not yet blooming.  They are beautiful.

For dinner, we had yellowtail snapper, with yellow
squash, green, red and yellow peppers and sweet
Vidalia onions with some seasoning and a drizzle
of Italian dressing.  It was amazing if I say so myself!
Captain grilled it all to perfection.

How about this glorious sunset?  I did not use any filters; it was just the beautiful.


At about 7pm, several of the members of the band got together around
the pool at Banana Bay to work on some music for tomorrow's gig at
the Yacht Club.  They are sounding really good, though tonight they
were really missing Brian and Penny.  Tomorrow should be fun.

After their jam session, several of us went next door to the Hurricane for a late snack and a night cap.  We thought we might get some dancing in with the Doerfel's, but that was not the band that was playing.  This group reminded me of Mumford and Sons.  All their songs sounded the same and they just beat the thunder out of their guitars and mandolin.  If you wanted to dance, about all you could do was hop around or do the Kentucky stomp.  I'd take Five Sheets to the Wind and Penny any day.  But, I AM a little biased towards one of their guitar players ;)  I never thought I would grow up to be a groupie that sleeps with one of the band members.  Life can just be funny like that, sometimes. G'nite, y'all!


No comments:

Post a Comment