Sunday, March 18, 2012

It's been nuts

I don't even know the last time I blogged.  I know it's been days.  Our youngest, Elle, was here last week on spring break.  Mid-way through the week, our oldest, Jennessa, her fiance, and our two grandkids were down for two days.  They left early Friday morning.  After 1 1/2 hours sleep Friday night, Elle and I left at 3:00am for the three hour trek up to the Ft. Lauderdale airport Saturday morning.  I waited for her flight to take off, as we were hoping she might get a bump.  Three of our five kids were leaving the Ft. Lauderdale airport between Friday and Saturday (Emily had been on a Bahamas cruise with her boyfriend on their spring break).  Nobody caught a bump, and they all arrived back to Indiana safe and sound. (minus the hiccup in Charlotte, for the toy gun my grandson was carrying- big oops.)  The good news for them is they were greeted by southern Florida weather in Indiana- craziness.  It has been over 80 there all weekend, record setting weather for fellow Hoosiers.  It worries me for them, getting too warm too soon. It worries me for me, as I am missing my spring flowers, the yard is likely growing out of control, and I am afraid my koi will croak in the pond without the waterfall running!  Nothing to do about it here in paradise- the worries need to be left back home :)  In between all the company we have had this winter and spring, we have been furiously working on the boat getting ready to leave for the Bahamas and parts unknown. 

Living on a boat at dock, and living on a boat while passage-making is an entirely different breed of animal.  When you are safely tied up, there's no concern for leaving your stuff and things lying about. Under sail, they become dangerous projectiles.  On the dock, if certain systems fail, well, there's generally a back up plan- use the head and showers at the marina, for example.  Engine not running? No problem, go hang out at the pool.  Pump not working? No problem, the water is coming from a hose on the dock.  Lost power? Seldom happens when you have shore power.  You get the idea.  So in between, 'living' with company, we have whittled away at the to-do list.  It's down to a manageable 8-10 items...
  figure out where the leak is coming from...the bilge is emptying far too often.
  replace the mainsheet
  fix the water pump
  get some more wax on the boat
  register the epirb
  renew our boat insurance
  clean the dinghy and prep it for passage
  complete paperwork for the Bahamas (including Willis' papers)
  seal portside window
  change the port on one of the scuba regulators
  make copies of all our documents
  install two more fans that have been ordered
  purchase a yeti cooler
  maybe purchase a new clown bike for me
  finish provisioning...

Dang, for those of you counting, that was 15 items.  I guess we're not as close as I thought.  I hope to knock a few of those items off tomorrow before I go to Key West to pick up the last of the company.  My friend Stephanie will be here for this next week. After she leaves, we will have six days to wrap it all up before we cast off the dock for good.  Cap'n is going in search of the leak in the morning.  That one is the most worrisome!  I do have lots of pics to post of the kids and grandkids...more dolphins, more manatees, more key deer, more sailing, more Key West, and other adventures- but I am simply too tired this evening.  Willis is curled up and sleeping next to me, and I want to join him shortly!
Here's the furry beast from a few nights ago.  He's ridiculous.
Oh, I almost forgot....it was a green flash tonight at sunset!  I'm sorry I missed capturing it on the camera.
This was a cloudy sunset, from a few nights ago, too.  G'nite y'all!

No comments:

Post a Comment