Friday, January 14, 2011

It pays to be a little OCD :)

Donnie crossed lots of items off the to-do list...adjusted the stuffing box to two drips a minute (and I got a lesson on the engine), fixed the galley sink with new hoses, wired the mast, put up the jib sail and added the sheets, took a peek at the head (tomorrow's starting project), talked to Jim about going up the mast this weekend to change out the topping lift (PTL- I don't have to!), set up the barbee on the stern rail, found out his beautifully crafted captain's chair will not work (the back stay is in the way), wired and checked the VHF radio (it works), paid the bill to Ross Marine ($1345.00), and attempted to clean out/straighten up his lazerette in the cockpit...
Donnie's idea of cleaning and organizing! Can you find him in this mess?!
I spent the day following wherever he had been and cleaning up after him.  Actually, it was an OCD's dream day...cleaning and organizing!  I am my mother's daughter, and my daughter, Emily, is her mother's daughter :)  I started in the sea berth. When it was completed, I made a diagram of where all the contents were squirrelled away and taped it to the board of the storage compartment.
This was the sea berth when I was finished...three cases of canned goods, a case
of tp and paper towels, extra bedding, and the all-important 'good' life jackets in
case of abandoning ship (thanks, Dave & Diane) are now all underneath. Our life
 vests while we are underway are now hanging, as are our hats, and the scuba BC's
 and wetsuits are in the duffel bag all the way aft. The seat cushion belongs in
the cockpit. On our trip to West Marine, I got the supplies to hang our fishing
rods from the bimini rails- tomorrow's starting project for me.
A look at the galley after it was all cleaned and organized, another three
cases of food sorted, marked and stowed away.  I had to think about balancing
all the weight on board; port to starboard, and bow to stern. 

And the reason this blog is called Sailboats and Kitty Litter... finding a home
for 40 lbs of kitty litter and 20 lbs. of kitty food.  The litter was much easier
to store in 2 gallon bags, I could stuff it in hide-y holes that way.  Now I have
to simply remember that it's all the way in the forepeak, in the Vberth!
And the good news?! Looks like I'm getting the foot rub afterall!  There's no way in h**l we'd be ready to go by dawn on Sunday, so Monday it is.  We have a full day of sailing ahead of us to make Beaufort, SC before dusk on Monday.  We plan to stay put in Beaufort on Tuesday as there is a 60% chance of thunderstorms. It's a historical little town worth exploring, anyhow. Had Chinese with Carissa tonight (I thought of you, Ellie bug!)  My fortune cookie read, "Never be less than your dreams."  How appropriate :)
Making the project list and shopping list for tomorrow- G'nite all!

1 comment:

  1. One of the main reasons Polly loved living on our sailboat was how easy it was to make sure my piles of junk didn't get to huge. Not enough room. Have a great sail Monday.
    Fair seas and gentle breezes!

    ReplyDelete