Saturday, January 29, 2011

27 drawbridges, 2 fixed bridges and 63 miles! Hello Miami!!

We weighed anchor at 7:15am this morning, knowing we had a ton of bridges to get through, the majority of them draw bridges.  Most drawbridges we have passed through up to this point are “on signal”, meaning you simply call the bridge tender to request an opening.  We started in West Palm Beach, MM 1019, and hoped to get to North Miami, around MM 1080.  Almost all of these bridges opened on schedule only…meaning you have to time it just right or you could be sitting for 30-45 minutes waiting for the next opening. We figured we had a long day ahead of us, hence, the early start.
Since we came in right at dark last night, we weren’t quite sure of our surroundings.  Imagine our surprise when across from our anchorage (the cheap seats, as in free!) was a marina that had mega yachts, both power and sailing, and none seemed to be less than 100 feet.

This was the first of many marinas we saw where no boat
was less than 100 feet long- craziness.  We looked like a
bathtub sailling by :)
Their dinghies were worth more than our Marquesa alone.  We should have known this was a foretaste of things to come.  We were amongst the wealthy and filthy rich all day long.  It was unbelievable. It turned out to be a very enjoyable day.  There were so many beautiful mansions, condos, golf courses, parks, and boats to look at.  We very seldom got caught waiting, and if so, it was only a matter of minutes and we were on our way.  I’ll let the pictures do the talking, there were lots of them.
Remember the story about the barge yesterday delivering sand? Here's the
Trump Plaza where they are building three islands to make a pedestrian
walkway for their guests.  I'm sure it will be beautiful.
I planted my herb garden that Emily got me for Christmas- thanks, Emily!
Tah-Dah! I have more seeds to plant when I get to Marathon.  First stop?
To the Home Depot for more pots and tomato plants.
This is the Southern Waterway Guide showing all the
bridges we had to go through today.
Now that's a no good, very bad day  :(
Hey, Cody! How would you like this gig when you finish
school?!  I know of a certain brown-eyed girl who would
 LOVE to live near a beach, any beach!





By far, the
prettiest
bridge of
the day-
in Delray
Beach.







It got over 70 today, time to get my bow babe on!
Something must have been going on in Ft. Lauderdale to bring out the Goodyear Blimp!
First Mate took a turn at the helm so Cap'n could have a turn on the bow in
the sun.  I had the stereo cranked and was dancing, until a power boat
went around us and asked Cap'n who taught me how to drive like that!

When my alarm went off this morning, I was dreaming that Ty Pennington
and I were doing an extreme home makeover.  I wonder if it was this place?
I'm just lovin' these outdoor curtains!  BTW, when I get to Marathon, my
alarm clock is also taking a sabbatical!

People who live in glass houses should not cast stones
(or run around naked)

These mega yachts were triple docked, in not nearly enough
space to eat at some fancy restaurant.  Needless to say, we
at a turkey sandwich on board!

Ft. Lauderdale has a water taxi service, pretty neat!
We called this one a James Bond boat- wonder how many millions it cost?!
This beauty looks like it had an elevator in it!


This was one
of two fixed
bridges today.
It was just 55'
clearance, and
we stand at 50'.
It's like an
illusion until
you pass under,
you swear you're
gonna knock the
antenna off the
mast.

We passed cruise ship row at the Port of Ft. Lauderdale.  The next time we
take a cruise (with our dear friends Greg & Wanetta) I want to go on
Royal Caribbean's Oasis of the Seas.  Wow, is she HUGE!!!

We looked like Stuart Little sailing in a thimble going by these big gals!






We loved
these
buildings,
they remind
us of smoke
stacks on
a ship!







And this was the beautiful view of North Miami at our anchorage- perfect!
After a supper of red bean & rice and sausage, Cap’n mapped out our sail plan for tomorrow.  Before we leave Miami, we need to fill up with diesel, fill the water tanks, and pump out the head.  We have just nine bridges left to go through, and most of them are fixed at 65’ clearance.  I guess we are headed for some sailing (motor off, perhaps?!) in Hawks Channel, bound for Key Largo.  We’re getting close now!

1 comment:

  1. Your captions are sooo funny! And I'm glad you planted your herb garden- I hope it works out! Also, I'm gonna make Cody read this post ASAP! lol

    ReplyDelete