Wednesday, January 26, 2011

I would like to give back today.

It was just one of THOSE days.  The day did not start out well as last night's sleep (if you call it that) was for the birds.  The hatch over our bed was leaking, (in a torrential downpour) and there's nothing I love more then a huge WET SPOT in the bed.  Then, by about 3:00am, I was awakened by a god-awful stench. Helga (the head) was backed up (again). Now, I know I am not peeing enough to fill the holding tank in three days (since the last pumpout) as Donnie generally does his business over the side (down wind, of course).  I try my best to bury my nose in the pillows and fall back asleep.  By 5:00am the rain had temporarily stopped but the wind had picked up even more...and we had a loose halyard banging against the mast.  I perceive this to be a Blue chore, but Mr. Fix-It was not obliging, so I go stomping out onto the deck, only to be met by a blast of COLD air, WET feet, and lines in a tangled mess that I cannot begin to make sense of before my fingers go numb.  Screw it....I stomp back down, put in some ear plugs and hope for the best.

The best came at 7:30am (while I was SOUND asleep) saying it was time to get up and get moving. I peeked outside to snot outside.  It was grey, the rain was coming down sideways, and the wind was whistling in the rigging. (I couldn't hear it until I took out my earplugs.)  Cap'n proclaims, "The weather report says its going to ease up after awhile."  I'm sleepily thinking, "Just how long is awhile?" as its blowing stink outside.  And just yesterday I said I have such a sensible Cap'n.

First of all, the head issue must be addressed, as by the time I fully awoke, Helga was smelling her usual odiferous self. UGH.  Cap'n says he'll look at it once the engine is started.  He's all sorts of chipper as he's had free coffee from the harbor master.  I throw on some layers, as we're back to seeing our breath, grab my wrench, lift the engine compartment lid and assume my usual position.  C-L-I-C-K.  Bessie is not even attempting to turn over.  This can't be good.  After three more tries, to which each time I say, "Nope, just a C-L-I-C-K", Cap'n starts trying to trace down the problem.  I assume my next usual position, which is on the settee with the toolbag at my feet and a People magazine in my hands.  I start handing him all sorts of wrenches, screwdrivers, files, flashlights and such (btw, Emily, you will never know how your 10 pack of flashlights to Donnie for Christmas has been the perfect gift.)  I read the entire People magazine as he is from one compartment to the next tracing wires, connections, and such, only to discover the battery box to the starter is full of water.  (I know nothing of batteries, but this can't be good).  Cap'n is becoming increasingly frustrated, to match the increasing wind and rain outside.  I finally say, "Maybe the good Lord is trying to tell you to stay put.  We don't need to be out in this crap. Take your time, sort it out, and call me when you're ready."  I left for the women's restroom with laptop in hand.  (The best place to get a connection.)

By 10:15am, we were finally on our way, blue sky overhead.  The head was pumped again (he says Helga is all okay now, and he added some good-smell for good measure.), and the corroded connections were all sanded, reconnected, and Bessie started right up with out a wrench beating!  That's a first...

We spent the next 30 miles going through Mosquito Lagoon.  The wind is still cranking, and Cap'n had all the jib thrown out (our powersail)  It was miserable down below, slam bammin' around.  The lagoon was really kicked up as its so shallow (single digits).  The cat was howling, and I was none too pleased.  It was just one of those days....carry over from the lack of sleep the night before, I guess.  I don't know.  All I do know is I do not like the way I behaved (or didn't), and by mid-afternoon, I offered up a peace offering to my honey of a frozen Snickers and a cold Coke Zero.   I managed to take some pretty cool wildlife shots, these were at Haulover Canal, where we were leaving the lagoon and crossing into Indian River.

These are those 'grouchy old men birds', I call them.


Can you see the osprey?  Looks like a bald eagle!


Note the hands attire... :)


We passed Port Canaveral today, that was also quite a sight.  The only problem was we got stuck at the NASA Causeway.  This meant that they would not be opening their bridge between the hours of 3:30-5:00pm.  Cap'n politely called the bridge tender, and we was not amused.  He was equally politely told that the bridge shall remain closed until five.  Rather than doing lazy circles in single digit water, we elected to drop the hook.



While we were on the hook, I got busy with starting supper.  On the menu
tonight? Cube steak, mashed potatoes, and jello salad.  Once again,
necessity is the motherhood of invention.  The end of a rusty hammer
wrapped in aluminum foil works out quite nicely!
I felt better at feeling useful (in my Pink galley duties) and the ride was more comfortable with only half of the jib sail pulled out.  We made it to MM 897 just under the bridge and into an anchorage at hard dark. No sooner was the hook in the water, than supper was on the table.  The day didn't turn out so bad, afterall. :)

1 comment:

  1. Don,
    I had a problem with the vacu flush head on a whaler. The holding tank was prematurely filling. The vent for the tank was plugged so bad that the tank could only accept a small amount of effluent. Fair seas and gentle breezes.

    ReplyDelete