Monday, February 20, 2012

My idea of sexy

I just want to go on record, for the whole world to know, that it is a fact that I find a man who doesn't mind getting dirty and fixing things to be very sexy.  I mean, really.  When I would get frustrated, give up, and want to call somebody and pay big money, my honey might scratch his head, and get new owies in the process, but by golly, he's like a dog with a bone when presented with a mechanical problem.  He simply will NOT give up, and bless him, he worked straight through the day and night, easily over twelve hours in all, and he's still not done yet.

So what was the problem that was so confounding?!  THE STINKING HEAD AND HOLDING TANK...which is, no doubt, every Capn's least favorite job to do on a boat, and his worst nightmare all rolled into one.  See, we have had a FUNK in our boat since we bought her three years ago.  Some days are better than others, and other days are down right FUNKY.  (and not as in, 'play that funky music white boy').  I have scrubbed, bleached, disinfected, used plug-ins, febreeze, burned candles, and sprayed every brand of air freshener known to mankind, but to no avail. The FUNK appeared to be coming from the starboard side of the boat, in the cabinet where the AC/furnace is housed,  as well as the three drawer 'dresser' in the Vberth stateroom.  Twice this season I have torn into our drawers- bleaching the teak inside and out, bleaching the cabinet walls and backside wall that the drawers are housed in, washing all the laundry that is stored in said drawers, and then lining the drawers with Bounce fabric sheets before I put my clean clothes back in them.  Within a week, my clean clothes would smell like a dirty boy's locker room on a hot, humid, August day in Indiana.  Needless to say, I was not pleased, and it sent my OCPDness into serious overdrive.  I realize I can be a b***h to live with when there are FUNKY germs to be smelled.  My smeller does not take kindly to offensive odors. I think I'm through ranting now....perhaps.

So, last week, we finally bit the bullet and pulled the AC/furnace unit, took it to another technician here in the Keys, only to be told that our compressor was indeed shot.  The culprit was a low pressure switch where a high pressure switch belonged- and this was done by the manufacturer.  Nice.  So, what that meant was, if we had a clog from the salt water intake which cools the system, the compressor would continue to try to run, and it subsequently burned out.  Clogs on any saltwater intake on a boat often occur....it's saltwater you're dealing with...there's all kinds of organisms, algae, and such in saltwater.  Remember, too, that the AC gave up the ghost this past summer when it was sitting in the canal, which can be kind of FUNKY water anyhow.
For the record, this is what $1075.00 looks like. Ouch.
B.reak  O.ut  A.nother  T.housand
Well, back to the FUNK. Once the AC unit was pulled from it's cabinet last week, leaving all of the hoses exposed...it sent the FUNKINESS into high gear.  The culprit was in the hoses which run behind our drawers and the cabinet where the AC is housed- all on the starboard side of the boat.  After our game of cards at the pool yesterday, and a chat with a nice man from the east coast who owns a 52' Chris Craft Constellation power boat, it was plainly obvious, that the only solution to removing the FUNK, was to remove all of the hoses in the boat- in particular, the hoses from the holding tank, and the vent hose for the holding tank as well.  This man said he changes his holding tank hoses every two to three years on his boat, and with 1 cup of bleach in his holding tank after every pumpout, he's never had a FUNKY odor on his boat since. SOLD!!!!!  Before the AC unit is reinstalled, all of the old hoses have got to go.
That meant today was D-Day. A full blown four alarm
assault on the stinky, smelly, foul, offensive, putrid, malodorous,
rancid, rank, reeking, repulsive, revolting, retchid, rotten, and
down-right GROSS holding tank hoses.
It was a nasty job, but 'somebody' had to do it.
God love him.
It was best for our marriage that I left for the day; seven loads of laundry in hand and a planned shopping trip with my momma.  I decided to wash nearly every thing in sight, including all bed linens, since the bed was tossed anyhow. Not only do I not do FUNKY smells, I don't do MESS even more.  It's that OCPD thing again.  I know, I can be hard to live with.  Peaceful, to me, is clean and smelling fresh. I am a happy camper when my home and boat are in ship shape :) 
This, however, is far from ship shape.  The picture does not
do the mess justice.  In a word, the boat is torn all to h**l.
Even Willis had to go topsides to find a decent place to cat nap.
Is that not a gorgeous view in the background?!
Believe me, I know how blessed I am.

This is our stateroom; what remains of it.  Bless my husband,
he knows how disgruntled I am over FUNK, so he took
it upon himself to drag the garden hose INTO the boat,
and bleach out the storage compartment where the holding
tank is housed.  Under our bed, I might add.
  I love that man.  Such a sexy thing to do :)
In between loads of laundry at Mac & Jean's, grocery shopping, and shopping-shopping, I fixed dinner for all of us, as it was Bachelor night with the folks!  (I was so disappointed that Kacie was sent home, btw.)  Anyhow, since the Bachelor is hardly on the Capn's list of prime time television viewing, he took the old hoses out to the picnic table, and made up new hoses with elbows, T's, and hose clamps in all of the right places.  I chipped in and bleached all of the fittings and hose clamps so he could re-use them. Because the tearing down and rebuilding took the entire day and evening, Cap'n gets the day off tomorrow, before it gets all put back together.  He gets to go fishing with Kenny, Chuck, and Big Ron, and I am taking Momma to Key West for the day.  Since the boat is torn all to h**l anyhow, what's one more day?!
If I didn't know any better, I would say my Prozac seems to be working, afterall.  Wait a minute, I don't even take Prozac, lol.  See, I can have a sense of humor :)  G'nite y'all!

No comments:

Post a Comment