Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Key West

Took my momma to Key West today. I was suprised to discover that she has never been there.  It seemed the easiest way to show her the town, and have a decent place to park, was to take the Conch Tour Train. 
First stop; the Flagler Museum, where we chose to
hop off and tour the place.  I was very interested as I
recently finished the book "Hemingway's Hurricane."
It is the story of the building of the Flagler Railroad
to Key West, and the deadly Labor Day Hurricane
of 1935, that sent Key West into a devastating
depression- worse than the nation's depression.
We both really enjoyed this, and the shop next door!
Past another historical tidbit I never noticed before today.
This is a typical 'Conch House' that you will see, that, and the cool cottages from yesteryear.
The Southernmost home in Key West, a beautiful Victorian style home.
Past Hemingway's Home and Museum. Someday I want to go through this
place with Cap'n.  The property still houses 44 descendants of Hemingway's beloved
 six-toed cats.  I just ordered Islands in the Stream to read, another one of his books.
No trip to Key West is complete without a frozen Key Lime pie
dipped in chocolate on a stick.  Love.
 
Nor is any trip complete without running into a
few dozen roosters.  I hate roosters.

The tour ended at Mallory Square.  I love this place.  I want to
watch the sunset from here with my Cap'n.


My favorite statue in town.

I want to bring my honey back to see the historical military memorial
along the wharf- he would really enjoy it.  Then we could watch the cats
jump through fire hoops, the sword swallower, and the sun go down :)


Me and my momma had a good day :)
My hubby had another long, but very productive day.  We had stayed in Mom's motel room last night, because Marquesa was all torn up from the hoses massacre. Donnie was supposed to have gone fishing today, but the trip was cancelled due to the wind and waves.  It is rescheduled for tomorrow, so it only seemed fitting to finish the job that was started.  Yesterday was all about tearing out and diagnosing the problem; today was all about installing the new vent hoses and holding tank hoses.  I am here to tell you that when I boarded Marquesa this evening, the first thing I noticed was, NO FUNK!!! Problem solved :)))

There were extra hugs and kisses for Cap'n.  The last hose to be replaced on the boat is the saltwater intake hose for the AC, when he decides to reinstall that unit.  It won't be any time soon as far as I am concerned; he deserves time off to go play for all the work he has done for us (and Danny) the past two and a half days.  Tomorrow is fishing, Thursday may be lobstering, and Friday is sailing, Saturday is the Nautical Flea Market and Mom's birthday dinner to Sunset Grill, Sunday is the member's only party at the Dolphin Research Center.  Mom better take some extra naps...I plan to send her home next week thoroughly tanned, but exhausted! While Donnie is fishing, we have planned a pool day and a lesson on Facebook.  Should be interesting getting my 78 yo mother on facebook- wish me luck!
I no sooner got mom dropped off to her room, and we enjoyed a beautiful sunset.
When I turned around to walk the dock back to Marquesa, this crane was
begging for a fish from a group that had just come in from fishing.
They obviously gave him one.  Willis was not the least bit interested in this fella.
After a Taco Tuesday dinner, compliments of Dan and Biddi, it was a nice
relaxing evening putting Marquesa back in order.  Tomorrow is cleaning
and pool day for me, and fishing for Donnie, Matt, and Kenny.  I'm hoping
they don't come home empty handed :)  G'nite y'all!

No comments:

Post a Comment