Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Momma and the boys...

Just a brief update...the boys from home, Brian and Steve, have been happily fishing and catching their quota daily.  Ocean fishing has provided some excitement and challenges to these freshwater lake fisherman, but they caught on quickly and have been slayin' 'em!  I will get pics from Brian tomorrow to post for all of our friends at MZWC.  Since they arrived Monday afternoon, our days begin with breakfast compliments of Cafe Marquesa.  Today it was juevos rancheros in tortilla wraps.  I packed their sandwiches and sent them on their way.
Meanwhile, I have been furiously finishing all of the taxes stuff.  It's been a hard four-five days of diligent work, sequestered down in the boat.  Luckily (for me, not the fisher-boys) the weather has been a bit unsettled, so I am not cursing the liquid sunshine.  I've been listening to Conch Country and working away!  If a fish filet knife is a part of your wedding cutlery set, you know you're living in Conch Country!  If you own more fishing rods than pants, you're living in Conch Country!  If your boat is worth more than your house...if your boat IS your house, you're living in Conch Country!  (That radio station cracks me up :) 

Anyhow, I spoke to our accountant today, and dropped it all off at UPS for overnight delivery tomorrow.  If you're wondering why all the anxiety? and, what's the hurry?  I am working against a March 1 deadline for the FAFSA, as Emily and Ellen are still enrolled in college for this next school year.  I really need completed tax forms to fill out the FAFSA.  So, it is a little unsettling to pack up all the receipts, the books from the Fix It business, and all of our own personal financial business, and then move it all to a boat 1400 miles away from home, and THEN hope I haven't forgotten anything too very important! Furthermore, I have to sort the whole mess out and make sense of it all when my brain is really just wanting to be in 'retirement mode', lol. I'm in Conch Country, afterall, my body says it wants to be on 'island time.'  What I wouldn't give for a pina colada coke about now.

Today was a very long day of driving, mixed in with a little bit of shopping.  Fran went with me to 'get off the rock' and head up to Homestead, then Miami.  It is a solid three hour's drive to the Miami airport under perfect conditions- no rush hour traffic, no construction, no accidents, etc.  We left at 12:30, and picked my mom up at about 6:30pm.  We enjoyed dinner at the Cracker Barrel (I forgot my gift card.  What can I say? I am my mother's daughter) before we hopped back on Highway 1 South bound for Marathon.  Mom will spend one week in the resort, one week on the boat, and her last week back at the resort.  None of this would have been possible if it weren't for my angel of a friend, Stephanie, who is house sitting, cat sitting, and Simon sitting at Mom's house back in IN.  Stephanie will get some extra special treats when she comes to visit here on the boat in March. 
So this week begins the seven week onslaught of company on Marquesa.  We are fortunate to be able share our love of sailing life with so many friends and family.  Hopefully this will convince people that we are NOT crazy to want to live on a boat, and we DO know exactly what we're doing out on the ocean!  I know, it's a tough concept to grasp for land lubbers...especially where we are land locked back in Indiana.  But, I simply love this life...I wouldn't trade a minute of it.  Oh, there probably are a few I'd like to give back now and then...like the time we headed out to the Atlantic Ocean without a P-L-A-N.  If you want to have a chuckle, go back and read the blog post from January 30, 2011.  It's funny now; not so much back then.  It was called, "Miami to ??? (only Donnie knows for sure).

I promise, I'll have pictures for y'all tomorrow.  For now, I'm going to bed. I've got hungry mouths to feed in less than seven hours...G'Nite! 

No comments:

Post a Comment