Friday, February 3, 2012

Coast Guard

The rest of last evening, while I attempted to grind away on the taxes,
Willis insisted on either laying on my work table, or on the sofa, in the
midst of my papers and piles of receipts.  I would gently pick him up and
move him each time.  I thought he was settled when I finally turned in for bed.
Oh, no- he must have taken a fit while detoxing, and
he destroyed my carefully sorted piles. Dern cat.
Donnie has now changed all the latches on my doors that could fly open should we get in heavy seas while underway.  I do my best to stow everything away when we are sailing.  The last thing I need is projectiles flying around the salon.  Thank you, honey :)  He also replaced an expired fire extinguisher that is kept in reach of the galley and Bessie.  The LAST thing we want or need is a fire on Marquesa.
The good news of the day is we passed the Coast Guard inspection that was offered at the marina today.  It can be rather common to be boarded by the Coast Guard when you are sailing, generally for a safety inspection.  Captain worked diligently to make sure everything was in proper working order, and appropriately placed or displayed (flares, air horn, the boat numbers, various placards, etc.)  So there is no need for concern. We are getting already to set sail for parts unknown.  We've got our seal of approval from the Coast Guard now, too- yay!
After lunch I needed a brain break, so we invited the folks, Cora, Kenny &
Fran for a rousing game of dominoes by the pool this afternoon.  Kenny
worked on his tan and told sorted stories, while we were getting serious
over the dominoes.  In the end, Donnie was the winner followed by Jean,
then Cora.  Then there was Fran...poor Fran...better luck next time.
After they left, Donnie and I swam our laps.  I did a new world record, 1/3 of a mile.  Donnie still kicked my butt, though.  I came back to the boat to make mashed potatoes and fresh broccoli.  Dinner tonight was at Dan and Biddi's boat.  They had been given some mangrove snapper and mahi mahi from Ray (the guy who runs the boat rentals next to us). Danny grilled it, and OMG- it was fabulous.
I left my hubby in the reliable company of Danny (eh-hem) while I came back to clean up the galley
and start in on the taxes yet again. 

Tomorrow, the Superbowl fun begins.  Party on the Pointe at 5:00pm- lots of good food, drink, and swapping lies.  Then it's more of the same over Bryan and Polly's Tiki Da Hut on Sunday for a pre-game party.  I've been seeing Indianapolis all over the news channels, and weather channel down here.  Make me a little homesick, except for the fact it's been 80 and sunny here :)  Gotta get back to work.

As for Willis, he won't even look at me.  The wind is howling right now, though.  A gust just came up, vibrating the rigging and sending Willis off our bed and next to my feet.  It sounds like a gale blowing up out there right now.  I better go check on the boat- G'nite all.  Be safe this Friday night.

2 comments:

  1. the weather has been in the 50's all week, not the 80's you have, but not bad for Indiana in February, tell Kenny that the next time he needs a fishing buddy that I'll be right there. ( I wish ) Tell everyone hello, and we wish we were there. Love you all, Greg

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't tell you the number of people that have asked if you're coming back down this year. You're missed already :/
    Donnie has his eyes on a number of lobsters that are close to legal size. I'm thinking of feeding them, to grow a little faster! We've had lobster for dinner once already. I took a bite for you and Grandma :) Love you guys.

    ReplyDelete