Saturday, February 11, 2012

Key deer :)

Those of you who know me well, know how much I love all creatures great and small...well, as long as they are not part of the rodent or reptile family, that is :)  This morning, Karie joined Mom, Donnie, and I for a trip to the Big Pine flea market that's held every Saturday.  It was a beautiful morning, and we knew weather was coming in, so we took advantage of the warm sunshine. 
Mom made out good; she got a new skirt, some crocs sandals, a shell
night light, and some fried donuts!  She liked the wicker motorcycle,
too, but it wouldn't fit in her carry on suitcase.
Karie also had a good time touching and feeling....she came away with some jewelry, a new purse, pepper jelly glaze and some fresh produce.  Donnie always finds tools he 'needs', and I hit up all of my favorite produce stands.  This week I came away with two kinds of squash, some honey tangerines, beefsteak tomatoes, bananas, and a head of broccoli. I love going to the farmer's market :)  I am getting very spoiled by that down here.

After shopping, we headed to the Gulf side of Big Pine Key in search of some key deer.  I wanted to show them to Mom.  She loves deer as much as I do.

Karie was the winner....dang, I must be getting rusty!  It's hard to tell in
the picture, but they stand about as tall as a german shepard, some smaller.
The doe on the left was an old gal, she was very bony and her face
was grey.  She reminded me of Simon with her grey muzzle. sad face.
Since we were out that direction, we stumbled upon No Name Key and
the famous No Name Pub.  Kenny and Fran & Co. had pizza there
just last night so we thought we'd try it ourselves. Mmmm, good :)
What a cool little place...there must be thousands of $1 bills stapled to the
wall, ceilings, everywhere. The staple gun is at the bar for your convenience!
The tables are covered in old photos and newspaper articles of the area.
In the 30's it was originally a general store, then a brothel was added upstairs.
In the 40's the brothel closed, and a bait and tackle shop opened. In the 50's
 the restaurant addition of No Name Pub had begun.  It's pizza is
'world famous' and the Pub is one of the Keys last historic treasures.
Me and my girl, Karie :)))
...and me and my Momma- we had a good day!
When we got home this afternoon, the wind was already cranking out of the N/NW, and the seas were building on the Gulf.  The waves are rolling right into the marina, and giving us a pounding out here on the wall.  We've got all of our lines out, and every fender is in use.  Sitting in Marquesa is like being on a bucking bronco...it's crazy, and a bit unnerving.  I'd feel better if we were out to sea instead of pounding into the wall.  I clocked the wind earlier at a steady 21 mph, but it has gotten even stronger since then.  The artic blast you have been dealing with back home is now reaching down into the Gulf.  There are freeze warnings as far south as Tampa.  It's supposed to get down to 49 here tonight, and a high of only 65 tomorrow.  Worse yet, they're calling for the wind to be 25-35mph through tomorrow, but by the afternoon it will turn out of the N/NE.   That's much better for us as it will push us away from the wall rather than into it. Until then, it's going to be a nerve-y 24 hours.  The wind is now approaching a steady 30 knots, as our rigging is whistling- with even stronger gusts.  I've got my garden all moved into the mangroves for protection.  I'm hoping Willis doesn't get sick in all of the motion and commotion tonight.  Shoot, I hope I don't either! 

No comments:

Post a Comment