Thursday, April 17, 2014

our last ocean sail

Rather than hopping seven miles up to Naples, we decided to go outside for the last time for a 30nm run on the Gulf of Mexico up to Ft. Myers beach.  We didn't weigh anchor until after 11:00am, by the time we had breakfast, and checked email one last time.  Last night, Donnie applied online through ChinaHotJobs for a job as a- get this- A SAILING INSTRUCTOR!  In Beijing; no less!  Of course it's a long shot, but I can think of no better Cap'n to teach the ins and outs of sailing.  Luckily for him, the position requires him to speak English, not Mandarin.  If this doesn't pan out, he intends to keep looking.  He just cannot stomach the idea of being a 'kept man' for a year.  I say, why not?!  But for my Donnie, idle hands are the devil's workshop, so he would most likely land himself in trouble- somehow, somewhere, if left to his own devices for entertainment. He's not one for sitting still.  Even his parents and teachers couldn't beat that out of him.  God love him :) 

And for those that have been asking, YES, there will be a China blog.  It will be called Chinese Takeout, so be looking for it in August :)  Sailboats and Kitty Litter will be back in action on November 2015, when we relaunch Marquesa on to the Okeechobee Waterway.

Back to more pleasurable matters...


It was a gorgeous day for a sail :)

The wind was another broad reach, and only the slightest following sea.

I took advantage of the flat ride and worked on
scrubbing the teak some more.  I will oil it down
really good once we get to The Glades.

So far, so good...

...we were cruising right along under a full jib and
Bessie was only turning about 1300 rpms.  At this rate
we will get 15 miles/gallon.  We were in 27 feet of
water and heeled at about 12 degrees. Nice :)

Until we look behind us and see a front moving in, uh-oh.

Cap'n tried his best to out run it, but it was clearly gaining on us.
Time to get prepared for getting wet and being in a blow! 
Then suddenly an angry sea was upon us.

It was a cold, soaking rain- blowing sideways, wind
howling, everything getting wet...it was LOUD y'all!
I went down below to sop up the mess and grab our foulies
and my fingers were going out in a matter of minutes.
It was teeth-chattering cold rain.

About eight miles to the cut at Ft. Myers Beach, and several more miles
into the anchorage, my Cap'n handled it like a pro :)  I'm in good hands.
The 4-5's we had rolling up under us, and the occasional slap sideways
sent my stomach churning.  I chewed on some ginger slices and prayed
for the wind to lie down.  I never did throw up though, PTL!



Two hours of that nonsense, and we were finally heading in toward
the Edison Bridge at Ft. Myers Beach- whew :)

We grabbed a mooring ball, and I set about cleaning up the salon and fixing
dinner.  We had chicken cutlets with homemade gravy (Cap'n was so
excited to see me pull that rabbit out of my hat!) green beans and potatoes.
A hot meal hit the spot.  I think we were in bed by 10pm
 
But not before a bedtime snack of homemade banana bread and a cold
glass of milk.  My bananas got a little beat up swinging around in their
hammock down below when we were in the storm.  It sure hit the spot!
And that means I pulled TWO rabbits out of my galley hat in the same day.
We're living large on Marquesa, people!!!
G'nite, y'all!
 

2 comments: