Sunday, April 6, 2014

Conch Key and then some



Cap'n and I spent the afternoon relaxing by the pool with Kenny and Fran
on Saturday.  We came back to the boat, and this teenager manatee was
sound asleep next to Marquesa.  Typical teenager, hypersomnic, and
gaseous!  He was farting in his sleep, and when the smell finally  hit
Cap'n's nose, he nearly fell out of the cockpit!  This guy never woke up.


Our friend Len invited us to Conch Key later Saturday afternoon for dinner at his place.  Conch Key is about 12 miles up the road, literally a tiny key that I've never really noticed before in all the times I've been up and down Highway 1.  There are about 50 residents that live full time there, and a few rentals, and that's about all.  It reminds me of the Keys as I remember them from childhood trips down here.  This tiny key has some pretty colorful characters in its little community.

Like the owner of this little cottage...he built his own sailboat in the side
yard, sailed it to New Zealand and Australia, only to recently return
back to Conch Key where he started.

Or the Preacher's House, which dates back to the late 1880's.
Len has written a song called "Flagler's Dream", and in it he has a line
that goes something like this... "don't forget about ol' Ray, he wears
the same shirt every day, but out on Conch Key that's ok."

I took a gazillion pictures, and I'll let them tell most of the story...such a fun time...


Leaving the canal behind his place, and heading out to the Gulf.
Conch Key is such a step back in time, it seemed appropriate to
snap a few shots in black and white.



We started with a boat ride to go check his ten stone crab traps. 
 
 
It's been a bucket list item for me to go pull traps.
Today was the day!

It's fun 'cause you never know what you're going to
find in the box.  The first one had a puffer fish-
this Tyson is for you, Ellie bug! He was a little stressed, lol.

I hooked and pulled them all...PULL WOMAN!

Though I was covered in trap slime, I never stopped smiling.
so. much. fun. :)


The last trap hit a bonanza of fish- but they all went back.

It was a beautiful afternoon to be out on the water...


...with two pretty incredible guys.

I took a quick shower, and mixed up sangria pitcher #2...
(Greg and Wanetta, get ready when we get home!)

...and the boys started playing music.  Len's friend
joined in on her tambourine.  It wasn't green.

Look at this big, sweet baby with her 'pillow' she carries around the house.
She liked listening to the music.



and the boys played some more...

and some more...until momma K decided it was
time for some food, or else.  Thankfully, Len had
chicken marinating in the fridge.  The grilling
was another story.  I managed to slice and season
a whole slew of veggies, and I have to say it all
tasted incredibly good.  Or we were THAT hungry.

For the record, not one of these bottles on Len's bar was touched :)

By pitcher #3, it was decided that we best not plan on driving home...so we
made it our mission to walk the Long Key bridge to see the sun come up.
Great idea in theory.  In reality, we had to set an alarm after a few hours' sleep.
By 6:30am, we were heading out to Long Key bridge- which has some
reference in Len's fishing song, "Don't Set Your Drag Too Tight."

It was looking to be a beautiful morning...

While my Cap'n and I waited expectantly...

somebody else was still a little too tight and definitely draggin', lol

It was beautiful...

walking back to bed...why are so many of these pictures blurry?

Just a cool sight walking along Highway 1...

After a much needed nap, we took a boat ride out to Little Duck Key.

Then it was time for some much needed breakfast at the Wooden Spoon.
Breakfast never tasted so good.  And then we needed another nap.
 
We woke up in time to meet Kenny and Fran at the Ice Cream Social
at the Kirk of the Keys Presbyterian Church.  It started at 3:00, and
we thought we'd eat ice cream while different groups sang and played.
We got our church in today after all- two hours of it :)  The music was great. 


By 5:30pm, my pancakes had long since worn off, and ice cream
never tasted so good!  Just ask Kenny and Fran :)
Seriously, there is no reason these pics should still be blurry :/

From there, we went to Dockside for open mic night.
Donnie didn't bring his guitar; we just wanted to
listen to the other musicians, like this 96 yo trumpet
player.  He played three songs, and even hit a high C-
I know I couldn't do THAT anymore.  He was also
a WWII veteran, AND told some funny jokes. 
"My wife called down to me this morning and said,
'Honey, come upstairs and make love to me.'  I told
her I couldn't do both."  His wife was in the audience
and just shook her head, like I do my Cap'n sometimes.
 
The blues singer was incredible :)
 

My honey and I danced our flip
flops off...and we are exhausted.
Time to go to bed for the third
time today!  G'nite, y'all!

On a side note...the blue piglet died in the church parking lot.  Len met us at Dockside, to take us back to pick the squirt up in his truck.  Tomorrow's project list begins with getting her up and running good.  We need to get her sold this week before we take off.  Minus the 'laying the bike down' incident a few months ago, I know Cap'n is going to be sorry to let his scooter go.  However, all good things must come to an end...I just hope he can bring it back to life, first!  Ok, seriously, G'nite, y'all!


3 comments: