Sunday, March 9, 2014

two steps forward

We missed church the morning, which we haven't done in quite some time.  We just had to get some boat projects under control- our living space is trashed.

Donnie started the day on a quest for a sawzaw.  The only
way that fuel tank was coming out was to chop it into
pieces.  He got the saw from our friend Dave, then
went to Home Depot for some metal blades.  It's a
good thing he got the multi-pack. Het burnt through
at least four blades- every time he hit the baffle
 in the tank.  Fortunately he didn't lose any limbs,
though I did have to doctor some toes and his pinky.
Most boat job involve the loss of blood one way or another.


Finally, the BEAST IS OUT!!!  When we flipped the tank over, we could
see the slightest leak in a corner of the weld.  For being 30 years old, the
tank was honestly pretty clean.  Not bad at all.

Cap'n had a major mess in the engine compartment and all over the cockpit.  Metal shavings and greasy finger prints were everywhere.  It was my turn to go on a quest for a shop vac and a sewing machine.  That's the nice thing about the boating community, there is always somebody somewhere, ready to lend a hand.  The kind folks on The Office lent Donnie an electric syphon yesterday so he could pump all of the fuel out..  I went searching for a shop vac and had three people ready to lend me theirs.  Richard came down the dock with his in a matter of minutes.  Donnie set about sweeping up a bajillion metal shavings (that's WAY more than a gazillion).  While he was busy with that, I went knocking door to door in search of a sewing machine.

I had the canvas left over from our old bimini, and I
wanted to use it to sew covers for the grill and the dinghy
engine.  We had one for the grill, but lost it in a big
blow nearly a month ago.  Cap'n dove down the marina on our
side of the neighborhood looking for it, but it never turned
up.  Linda from Yesterday's Dream was kind enough
to lend me her machine- and thread :) 


I was pretty pleased with the outcome.  It was a simple
project; make a pocket for the parachute cord, then
sew a sack.  You would have thought I was some sort of
seamstress extraordinaire- Cap'n was that impressed.
I returned the sewing machine with some hogfish
and lionfish that Cap'n shot as a thank you gift.
I promised to include Richard for dinner soon for
the use of his shop vac, too.


Cap'n and I took a walk late in the afternoon to Home Depot to return some items, and to get a gallon of the degreaser stuff.  While he worked at removing all of the fingerprints all over the fiberglass, I started dinner.  Tonight we had teriyaki chicken with grilled vegetables and baked potatoes. It hit the spot. 

It was a beautiful sunset tonight, and another green flash :)
I never tire of this view from our bow.

Once the boat was put reasonably back together and the dishes were done, we went to Mom and Pop's to watch last week's episode of Survivor.  It's an interesting season; Brains vs. Braun vs. Beauty- though I question the collective IQ of the Brains tribe.  Since March has arrived, and I did not hear back from Ken, my chance at Survivor has passed by me once again.  It's probably just as well, as I am going to be a busy girl when we get home.  We will have less than three months to get our house and affairs in order, have a wedding for our son, Michael, visit Ellie bug in her new home and job in Arkansas, and get Mom moved to an assisted living facility.  We will be leaving for China for the year around the 20th of August.  True to McDaniel form, we won't be letting any grass grow under our feet when we get home in mid-May.  I'm already tired just thinking about it.  G'nite, y'all!

No comments:

Post a Comment