Tuesday, April 2, 2013

weather man said it's gonna be a hot one...

Luis' crew of technicians came over first thing this morning to test Bessie.  First, they tested the tachometer; ours was off and Cap'n needs to make some adjustments.
The boys then took her out for a sea trial and she performed beautifully under load.  No black soot at all...not a problem one.  This is the FIRST time she has worked properly this entire winter.  In a word, y'all, she is CURED!!!
 I went to the post office while they did the sea trial.  I had to get a money order for the company we ordered the new dinghy from.  It was only going to North Miami, so I am hoping they will receive it yet today, if not, then tomorrow for sure.  We should have a new dinghy shipped to us by the end of the week!  Hooray!  I was so excited to see the light at the end of the tunnel, that I stayed up late last night bookmarking websites, blogs and such for cruising in the Abacos islands, Bahamas.  If we can get a favorable weather window after we get back from seeing Carissa this weekend, I'm hoping we can cast off the dock, even if for a few weeks :)

When I got back, Marquesa was already back, too, and Donnie had her all hooked back up to shore power, water, cable and such.  He had a date with Kenny and Bryan to go do some fishing since Kenny's boat is finally working, too.  The old adage is that a good day for diving is not a good day for fishing.  I packed him a lunch, snacks, and plenty of drinks for the day. We shall see if there is any truth in that old saying or not.  My fingers are crossed that he comes home with a mess of fish.

Reflection left this morning, as did the Murphy boys-though their boat is staying here.  Banana Bay is starting to look empty.
With a clean boat, a husband gone fishin', and no plans for myself for the day, I decided to take a bike ride to the Seven Mile Bridge and back.  I have not exercised since I broke my toes and it's driving me crazy.  I figured I could manage on a bike, broken toes and all.  This picture from the bridge to the gulf side illustrates the need to be able to read the water...brown you're aground, white you might, green is lean, blue- sail on through.

I saw three cattle call snorkeling boats and two dive boats go out to the reef in a span of about 20 minutes.  Uh-oh, the fishing must not be very good- it appears the diving is good today.

Looks like the Coasties got a new boat- it has an open platform all the way around, similar to a pontoon.  But with three triple 300's on the back, it can haul a**.  Nice ride.  They seemed to be doing a training exercise at the bridge.
Speaking of the bridge....did I mention how hot it was today?  Mid 80's, humidity up, and only a slight breeze.  My big ambitions to pedal, pedal, pedal my clown bike to the bridge and back quickly went south.  I am so out of shape.  I had sucked my water dry before I even got to the bridge. Not a good sign.  While I was pedal, pedal, pedaling down and back on the bridge, I got clammy, dizzy, and nearly fell off my clown bike.  Except that I didn't- because I put my foot out to catch myself.  My left foot that is- which immediately sent a jarring, throbbing pain to my two broken toes.  First I tripped on my boot at the Hurricane last week and nearly fell, and now this.  At this rate, I will still be in a boot by the time I get home in May.  The healing process is not working out so very well.  Willis' paw is all better, though, in case you were wondering about the furry beast.

As I pedal, pedal, pedaled my clown bike back down along Hwy 1, I simply kept my head down and chanted, "you can make it- only a little bit farther..." over, and over, and over, again.  I kept looking at landmarks...C'mon Karyn, you can make it to Porky's.  C'mon Karyn, you can make it to Daffy's.  Except Daffy's isn't there anymore, so I couldn't stop in for a cold drink.  I was about to thirst to death at this point.  I mean, I was DYING, y'all, and my foot was killing me to boot. (Stephanie, does this sound familiar?)

I happened to have some one dollar bills tucked in my soaking wet underwear (did I mention how hot and humid it was today?) so I stopped at my favorite little Cuban café.  I fortified myself with another water and a guava and cheese pastella.  There were roosters on the tablecloth...I imagine Cuba is crawling with roosters.  I didn't order a Cuban coffee today  My heart was already racing, I was afraid I would expire for sure.
The little Cuban cook invited me to sit at the little table by the kitchen...in front of a fan.  Do you see how red-faced I am?!  Pretty soon, he brought me out another guava pastella.  I think he likes me.  I used all the Spanish I could to converse with him, but he knows about ZERO English.  I told him all about my husband, and five kids, and I live on a sailboat with MY HUSBAND and el gato (the cat).  He laughed and said he loves me.  Oh dear.  Time for me to leave.  But the fan felt so good, y'all.
I pedal, pedal, pedaled on down Hwy 1, past Faro Blanco resort and marina which was taken out in Hurricane Wilma.  If you remember from past blogs, we call it the "Haunted Lighthouse" or "Jurassic Park" for all of the huge iguanas laying on the busted up docks.  Anyhow....this beautiful bougainvillea caught my peripheral vision, and I had to stop for a pic.  Oh let's be real, I just wanted off that damn clown bike.  My face was as red as the stupid bush.
I finally made it back to Banana Bay...I had been gone over two hours...in the heat of the day.  I pedal, pedal, pedaled straight to the pool and dropped my clown bike.  I hobbled to the pool deck, stripped off my boot and tank top (the bikini top was on, folks), and jumped in with the rest of my clothes on.  It was a huge disappointment.  The pool was not even cool.

I went back to the boat, sucked down the third water of the day, and laid down for a nap with Willis.  He had already beat me to the bed. 
I woke up an hour later to one passed out pussy cat.
Donnie got home not soon after I woke up, and he was also burning up from fishing in the hot sun.  He said it was hard fishing today, and the water was crystal clear.  They could see down to the bottom, in 50' of water.  Guess there's something to be said for the "good day of diving is a poor day of fishing."  He only came home with one yellowtail and a few grunts.  He snorkeled around the marina looking for the lionfish he's seen several times.  He was wanting to shoot it.  He didn't find the lionfish, but he naturally saw three big legal lobsters.  Of course, the season ended on 3/31. 
Donnie and Danny went to Salty's for some seafood gumbo tonight, while Biddi and I joined Fran and Diane for a girl's night out at the movies.  We saw Safe Haven and it was good :)  I hope I have pleasant dreams of Mr. Tall, Dark, and Handsome tonight.  Of course, I mean Cap'n ;)  G'nite, y'all.  I gotta get some sleep; momma is fishing with the boys tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment