Friday, April 5, 2013

Cap'n's got a brand new toy

We were awakened last night to one heckuva thunderstorm.  It was continuous lightening for quite some time.  I've never seen the sky lit up so much, for so long.  At one point we could hear hail pinging off the mast and stanchions.  Willis was a scared-y cat.  He was all hugged up to me, under the covers, with his head and eyes hiding in the palm of my hand.  Such a brave puss...

After breakfast, Cap'n and I set out to get some information on how to check the connections, and what I need to do to change out the VHF antennae on the top of the mast.  We stopped for gas, and I only paid $2.939!!!  I love my Winn Dixie customer rewards card :)  I haven't paid under $3/gallon in years!
From there, we went to West Marine and bought a new VHF antennae and a new pair of flip flops for Cap'n. 
We also stopped at the bank to get some cash for our ROAD TRIP tomorrow!  We are headed to Georgia with Kenny and Fran to go see our daughter, Carissa, who is on her way home from her deployment in Afghanistan!! Praise His Holy Name!!!  The day cannot go fast enough for this momma.

It continued to rain off and on all morning, so I decided to make a pot of homemade chicken and brown rice soup for lunch.  I cut up whatever vegetables I could find, added some fresh rosemary, and left it to simmer.  It was delicious, and the perfect comfort food for a rainy day.

Willis was supervising me cooking lunch from the chart table. It's one of his favorite laying spots.
I also did two loads of laundry thus morning.  By the time I finished with that, and lunch, we got mail!  Larry the dock master delivered it to us from the front office.  It was like Christmas, y'all!
Biddi came over to see what all of the fuss was about :)
We got our new dinghy! (which serves as our car when we are cruising :)
We no sooner got it set up and launched, and it began to rain.  Cap'n was looking forlorn.  He couldn't take his new toy out for a test drive just yet.  Dang it.
What to do on a rainy day?  Take care of a much needed job- writing down all of the replacements and improvements that have been done to Marquesa since we started coming to FL for the winter.  In three year's time, believe me, it adds up to a big bunch of B.O.A.T.S., y'all!  Hopefully next year will be much better.  The only thing I really want to replace yet is the bimini.  I'd like to get Laura, who sewed the dodger and wheel cover this year, to make us a new bimini, too.  Ours has gotten bagged out (no thanks to Willis) and it was not made with the same grade of sunbrella material- water seeps through.  
 By mid afternoon, the wind kicked up, and then it really started to pour.  It was blowing a steady 20 knots, and it was really putting it down!

Willis was not pleased with the storm.  I was reading up in bed, and he was sandwiched between two pillows. I covered him up with a beach towel.  Again, such a brave puss.  Not.
After about two hours, the sun shone briefly, and Cap'n took the new dink out for a spin.  He loves it.  He rowed all the way out to Pretty Joe Rock and back, and through the marina.  He's pleased with his new toy.  He said it was much easier to row than the last dink, as this one has an inflatable keel.  It should track better when we are towing it, too.
As soon as the storm passed, Willis was back to his happy, flopping self.  Dern cat.
There wasn't much of a sunset this evening, but look how quickly the Gulf had laid back down again.
Unfortunately, the wind has now once again picked up, and we are really getting tossed about as I'm laying in bed.  Naturally, it is out of the NNW at about 15+ knots. This just started in the last half hour or so.  I thought the front was to have already moved through.  To be honest, my stomach is a little queasy at the moment, as it's pretty rolly-polly and up and down to boot.  I hope I fall to sleep as quickly as Cap'n. So, I'll give you three guesses as to where the furry beast is right now...and the first two guesses don't count!  You got it :) 

It's after midnight, and AIS is 5:15am.  I hope I hear the alarm go off in about four and a half hours.  G'nite, y'all!

No comments:

Post a Comment