Friday, March 30, 2012

wrapping it up

Donnie left for a final fishing trip with Kenny, Bryan and Polly today.  He was the winner-loser, and Polly had a wonderful time bragging over being the winner-winner, with two really large yellowtail.  Lots of folks have complained that it was been a 'down' season this year, unless you are really willing to go offshore.  We're looking to try our luck fishing in the Bahamas.  I'm hoping we hook into something good in the Gulfstream.  The Yeti will be packed with ice just waiting for a fresh catch!

While Donnie was gone, I ghetto stitched the dodger, hoping we can get one last trip out of it.  I plan to leave it with the sailmaker down here for her to stitch us a new one for next season.  I stabbed myself no less than three times, twice in the abdomen, if you can believe that.  I was tugging and pulling for all it was worth with a pair of pliers.  I did a bloodletting on the canvas, and said a few choice words in the process.  There is nothing that makes me angrier than getting hurt.  Wait.  That's not true.  Being freezing cold and having my fingers go numb also makes me really angry.  That is why we live on a sailboat in Florida during the winter months- it's a life insurance policy on our marriage.  Otherwise, I'm not fit to live with, lol.  Believe it or not,  my fingers have been numb a few times down here, too.  But, I digress...

So, back to the sewing repair job...it's done, and now Donnie needs to tighten the sides where it clips on, and hopefully it will hold.  We prefer to sail with the dodger down as we have better visibility, but if we get into some waves, especially pounding into them, the dodger provides some much needed protection.  I know one thing, I am asking for a sailing sewing kit for Christmas.  After breaking two needles today, and stabbing myself repeatedly (once even with the needle nose pliers) I was upset with myself for not having the right equipment to begin with.  You need the right tools and equipment to do the job right- that is Mrs. Fix Its motto, anyhow.  Donnie would rather figure another way around the problem.  Its that ying-yang thing, I suppose.  I know if I had one of those palm thingy-ma-bobbers like they had at West Marine, I would have held on to a little more of my blood and would not have had to repent afterwards!

After that project, and dousing my body with neosporin in some much needed places, I filled our water jerry jugs.  I added a few drops of bleach to hopefully keep any critters from growing.  I got a set of small bungees for Donnie to lash them onto the deck, which he did when he got home.  We definitely are starting to look like cruisers- deisel jugs, water jugs, and a wind generator usually are a pretty good indication that the owners are full time liveaboards.  We're not there yet, but at least we can dress the part! 

I also did two loads of laundry, did some more sorting and packing, withdrew some more cash for the trip, paid some more bills online, and spoke to the front desk at the resort about holding our mail until we return.  After Donnie took care of the water jugs, he unpacked the dinghy and rinsed everything off.  Tomorrow we'll  haul it out, scrape the bottom (it has grown a mossy beard), and store it on deck.  We'll look like the Beverly Hillbillies before all is said and done!

In the morning we are heading to Big Pine for the Farmer's Market, and to pick up a few last minute items.  On the way back, we'll top off the propane tank, one deisel jug, and the gas cans for the dinghy. We'll also start icing the Yeti down to cool it before we purchase block ice.  We're getting together with Dan & Biddi tomorrow evening to watch the ball games, and then Sunday will be our last church service here, and hopefully a leisurely afternoon at the pool before we depart.  As soon as I know a definite departure date and time, I'll let y'all  know.  Here's a few pics from today...
Willis was a big help today with packing, sewing, laundry and such.
I nearly stepped on this guy coming back with my laundry- I was
not expecting him by our cockpit. Oh yeah, the neighbors heard me.
While I was doing laundry, I missed all of the excitement at the marina.  Larry,
the dockmaster, shot a lionfish with his pole spear from the dock.  The lionfish
is very venomous and invasive fish that is dangerous to divers and fishermen.
NOAA has given the orders to 'shoot to kill' lionfish even in protected
sanctuaries as they are destroying the colorful marine life on reefs.  They are
now seen in waters as far north as North Carolina, and as far east as Barbados.
Believe it or not, if you cut their venomous fins and tentacles, they are a delicious
white fish, supposedly as good to eat as grouper.  Yeah, right. I think I'll pass.
The Angler Drive gang all went out for pizza tonight at the Hurricane.
It was a farewell dinner for Ken and Lucille who leave for Long Island
tomorrow morning.  L to T is Bryan & Polly, (did you know she caught
the biggest yellowtail today?!), Cap'n Donnie (who did not catch any fish
that were keepers) myself, Fran & Kenny, and Lucille and Ken.  Good times :)
We were sharing the "how we met" stories.  Ken was embarassing
Lucille here with their story.  I am not convinced we got the whole story, lol.
Kenny was telling their story, of how he met Fran on a cruise ship. 
Something had Fran embarassed, though I don't think we got the whole
story there, either!  Or it could have been Bryan belting out the theme
from "The Love Boat." Either way, it was pretty funny :)
Donnie saved his last dance for Ken...I didn't quite understand why he
was holding his tackle box while they do-si-do'd, but who am I to ask?!
Ken and Lucille, y'all be safe going home, and we can't wait to do
it all again next year :)   We love you guys!  G'nite y'all.

No comments:

Post a Comment