Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Warderick Wells, Tuesday, 4/10

Tuesday, April 10, 2012 Warderick Wells, I love this place!


I woke up this morning, and sat down naked in the cockpit, folding myself up to hide behind the binnacle to take a cold shower this morning!  I woke up several times last night, cause my hair was itchy. I even woke myself up smelling myself-  now that’s bad!  I dumped a gallon of freshwater over my head to rinse my hair, and called it good.  I ran shivering back into the boat.  It has been a cold northeast wind for days. 

We got checked in this morning, and who should I meet at the dinghy dock, but Pam and Steven from Tide’s End.  They were the beautiful boat across the channel from us at Banana Bay.  It was so exciting to see a familiar face J  It sounds as if the weather is really going to get MORE windy, so folks are talking about and trying to decide where to tie up, at a marina, or a mooring ball, preferably.  I hate to have some more sleepless nights worrying about dragging anchor.  It sounds as if this first group of boaters that left from Banana Bay a few days before us have had their share of mishaps.  One fella fell off his boat and either bruised or cracked his ribs.  Worse yet, it knocked him unconscious, and a boater nearby dove in after him. Yikes!  Like us, they also got into a mess at Allen’s Cay.  One boat ran hard aground, and another boat pulled a neighboring boat’s anchor while trying to set their own anchor, and that caused a chain reaction of three boats knocking in to each other.  I’d say compared to this bunch, we’ve faired pretty well!
We got checked in to Warderick Wells soon after the Park office opened at 9am.  I got a new hat, to replace my USAFA one that blew off my head several days ago- sad face.  We picked up literature on trails to hike and sights to dive, and we set out for a hike across three trails total.  We were out for three hours, up and down hills, and I never complained once!  It really felt good to be working some muscles.
First on the to do list, hike up to BooBoo Hill.
The top of BooBoo Hill is where boaters can leave their boat name on a piece of driftwood. 
Kind of a cool thing to do, really.
It was fun to read where all the other boaters came from. 
See the anchorage in the background?
 Then we picked up a trail to go see the blowholes.  It reminded me of being
 with the kids at The Ovens in Nova Scotia.  I love the WHOOOSH!
 sound of the waves rolling into the holes.


It was some kind of updraft!  Nearly blew Karie’s hat off!


We crossed onto another trail called The Causeway. 
The ribbons of blue in the ocean from atop these hills was breathtaking.  The bird you see is a Bahama Mockingbird that had a beautiful song like the mockingbirds back home.  I also saw a bananaquit bird, and a Bahama yellowthroat, that looked like a chickadee.
He was trying to hide from me.


After our hike, it was lunchtime so we returned to our boats to grab a bite to eat and some R & R. This boat cruised by Marquesa….it is the Bahamas equivalent of our Coast Guard.  

I spent the better part of the afternoon just trying to log on to the internet here-
 but look at the view I was enjoying while trying to connect! 

We met up again at 5pm to go snorkeling at slack tide.  Though I got chilled, the reef was gorgeous.  I saw the biggest lobster I had ever seen, and I saw two lionfish.  Seeing the lionfish was a first.  There were all the usual pretty tropical that I have seen before- but it was still beautiful. 
Donnie and I both got chilled, so I came home and made a pot of chili to warm us up.  After another cold shower, it hit the spot.  Donnie and I looked at the charts, and read through the guidebooks.  We have until Thursday afternoon to get tucked into a safe anchorage somewhere south of here- most likely Staniel Cay, where other boaters are heading.  Tomorrow, I think we are bound for Compass Cay, just a quick jaunt further south.  I should have WiFi in Staniel Cay. 

Until then, G’nite y’all!




No comments:

Post a Comment