Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Last Day in Nassau, PTL! 4/24

This morning we were moving rather slowly....depressed, I think you might call it.  Tied up to a dock for the fifth day in a row, in a busy, dirty, noisy, city was not what we had in mind for this last leg of our cruising adventure.  At about 11:00am, we finally got motivated enough to go for a hike, this time to The Retreat.  It is an 11 acre botanical gardens, of sorts, that is located across from the Queen's College in Nassau.  It was a former monastery back in the day, and it is plush with all kinds of beautiful foliage, and forty-one species of palms from all over the world.  I can't begin to name them correctly...just enjoy the greenery.  I can tell you that it smelled wonderfully...just good, clean, oxygen-rich air from all of the plants.  We loved it.


This one bites- it has quills like a porcupine!

Some were growing in nutrient-rich sink holes.

I love banyan trees...one of the many things I loved about
Brazil.  Nassau reminds me of the port city San Salvador
in Brazil, which was my least favorite place there.

Can't you just smell the green?!  It was lovely.

On our way back to the marina, Donnie watched this guy give a
lesson in how to clean 'da conch'.

When we got back, I fixed a late lunch, we rested a bit and read our books, and then decided to tend to some boat projects.  I did some clean up down below, tended to my basil plant (the last living herb on the boat- sad face), and I sewed the dodger back up- with fishing line!  Donnie tended to Bessie, cleaned the air filter and we are happy to say she has not used a drop of oil the whole trip!  He also worked on the cantankerous roller furling, and checked all of the rigging and stays.  We are, thankfully, leaving tomorrow morning.  We plan to sail to Chub Cay, across the Bahama Bank, to Cat Cay, across the Gulfstream, and back to the Florida Keys.  We hope to arrive back in Marathon by Sunday, if not before, depending on the wind, weather, and our energy level!  We will be making some overnight passages, most likely.  I am ready to leave the city, and anxious to get back moving again.  I want to fill my head with some more pretty scenery before we return home :)

Cap'n and I were both anxious to get back on the water, and the wind
settled down this afternoon, so I talked him into taking me on
a dinghy ride to Potter's Cay, the open fish market and farmer's
market under the bridge to Paradise Island.  You see Atlantis and
some mega yachts here- oh, the money.
I wanted to pick up some fresh produce to see us through the trip back
across the Stream...you can be assured, I did NOT purchase the dried fish.  Ewww.
Well, by now, I have been sitting in yet another gas station for two hours, looking for the elusive internet connection.  Donnie went snorkeling with Matt, if they could safely make it out of the channel- not sure what the waves are like outside.  At any rate, it is near sundown, and this is not the safest city, so I am signing off now.  I would not be surprised if I have no internet during this last leg of our sailing.  Once again, we will be in some pretty remote places, then out on the open ocean.  Pray for safe passage, and safe travels back home.  I can't wait to see my friends and family :)  G'night  y'all!

1 comment:

  1. And your friends and family cannot wait to see you as well. We love you and pray for safe passage, small waves and gently breezes.

    ReplyDelete