Monday, April 2, 2012

Bimini, Bahamas Day 2

So, picking up after the nap... Karie and I enjoyed our nap in the sun by the pool.  The guys crashed on the boat.  It was just as well, as I wouldn't have slept listening to Cap'n 'sleep' (i.e., snore).  It doesn't bother me if I get to sleep first, but I was still so wound up anyhow, I wasn't sure I could fall asleep.
As I walked back to the boat, I saw this guy swimming by- a nurse shark.
After naps, we all jumped in Matt and Karie's dinghy for a quick ride to
North Bimini Island to Alicetown.  Passed this working boat on the way in.
It was sad to see all the marinas nearly vacant.  We heard that had happened
after Hemmingway's place burnt down. 
The guys are looking over what remains of Hemmingway's.
The chimney still stands.  It was such a contrast to see the ruins (the old)
with vibrant flowers (the new) still blooming around the property.
Outside of the Angler's Club- Bimini is known for deep sea fishing,
not a mile off shore and you're in deep water, for big marlins like these.
Conch is a main staple in a Bahamian's diet as they are plentiful.  I
like how they used the leftover shells on their fence!
We visited the "End of the World" bar many, many years ago with our
good dive buddy, Dean Hawks.  It was nothing more than a tiki hut
with a sand floor.  The place has really grown.  I seem to recall leaving
some undergarments pinned to the rafters a lifetime ago :)
I fixed dinner for us all on Marquesa.  I just had to show you the nifty
little dish drainer that Biddi gave me as a going away present.  It
folds up to the size of a textbook for easy storage.  It's the simple things
that makes this First Mate happy :)  Thanks, Biddi!
Tomorrow is an early start, as we plan to cross the Bimini Bank to Chub Cay, about an 80 mile run.  We will not get all the way through, but will most likely anchor for the night on the bank somewhere close to sundown.  Looking forward to a passage during the daylight hours so I can see what there is to see!  Thankfully, there will be no freighters involved, as it is too shallow for them.  We will only be sailing in about 10-15 feet of water all day long- that seems crazy to me- in the middle of the ocean.  G'nite y'all!

No comments:

Post a Comment