Wednesday, December 28, 2011

The sound of money

After yesterday evening's rainshower, it was cool this morning and the wind was still cranking.  We had lots of projects to tackle on today's to do list.  I headed 'to the basement' (as Donnie's Aunt Cora calls it) armed with more bleach water, teak oil, windex, a scraper, and a lifetime supply of rags, compliments from Donnie's sister, Diane, and Fisherman's Hospital. I decided to tackle my least favorite job first, Helga (the head). While I was folded up in the head, scrubbing and polishing away, I could hear Donnie and Paps up top working to get the headsail into the roller furling.  I kept peeking out the porthole, looking at Paps feet.  Mind you, the wind was really cranking, as Donnie was guiding the sail into the roller furling while Paps was cranking the sail up.
The picture does not do justice to how hard the wind
was blowing the sail, and Paps, around the deck.  I
thought for sure any minute I'd hear a big splash with
Paps going into the canal!
The boys finally figured out that it made much more sense to have Cap'n wrestle the sail and work the winch and leave Paps up in the bow pulpit to simply guide the sail on. By the time the boys had finished the bimini and headsail, and I had the head sparkley clean and smelling fresh, it was time for lunch.  No lunch in the Keys is complete without a siesta afterwards :)
After lunch, the wind had died down, so it was decided to hank
on the brand new mainsail next.  Bryan came over to lend a hand.
The mainsail was beautifully folded, and nice and crisp.
As the boys took her up the mast, Cap'n remarked that the
new crisp sail sounded like about two grand to him.
Meanwhile, I worked my way around the main salon, oiling
all the teak in sight.  No need to use stain or varnish on a boat.
Teak oil restores the rich color and makes a beautiful warm
shine.  You can see the 'before and after look' above.  I love
when the teak has all been freshly oiled, it reminds me of
the warm glow of living in our log cabin back home.
Say hello to Bessie!  Donnie checked the oil,
cleaned the raw water strainer, and put vegetable
oil in it to lubricate the impeller on the raw water
pump.  Didn't have to bleed the fuel lines or
beat her with a wrench! After 30 seconds on the
glow plug, she fired right up like a champ.
Thumbs up for Bessie!
While I made my way cleaning into the stateroom, Donnie
and Paps got the dinghy put together and blown up.
The plan is to get the motor on tomorrow.
After a delicious spaghetti dinner and homemade butterscotch pie, thanks to Mamaw and Aunt Cora, I was done in and ready for a shower.  Donnie decided to tear into Helga (the head), as a simple press of the flush button made not a sound...kind of wish I hadn't cleaned it afterall.  It couldn't be a simple wiring fix on the electric flush. Oh no, it seems the mascerator (poop grinder) is shot. Looks like I'll be cleaning it all over again after the shitter's fixed :/ 

So the plan for tomorrow is to continue working on the head, get the dinghy motor mounted and fired up, clean and oil around the galley and chart table, sweep and mop the floors, and then I'll be ready to unpack the Jeep, and stowing it all away- whew.  Oh yeah, we mustn't forget Willis, either.  He is staying on Diane and Dave's back porch until we're ready to move aboard.  He's not a happy puss...he and the two dogs growl at each other through the slider screen door.  I believe Willis has a louder growl- he should, he's the size of Sugar and Oreo put together.

We hope to be moved in and ready to cast off mid morning on Friday.  The plan is to take Marquesa to Burdine's for lunch, and then sail her around to Banana Bay Resort & Marina, her winter home, afterwards. Yay!  Then our semi-retirement can offically begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment